Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with "services.msc"

• Please log in to reply

defencebuilder

defencebuilder

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I disabled the Remote Procedure Call service on my laptop and it produced undesireable effects that are system for instance I cant move any desk top icons around and I can run Norton. I disabled this service on advice to correct a systemfader.exe and Dr watson postmortem debugger prolbem I was having. for all I know I still have that prolbem. I want to enable the RPC service however when I open the Services screen then highlight the RPC service go to properties it will not open the properties screen so I can enable the device also it will not let me start the device since it is disabled.
Any one have any ideas. I dont have a Windows disk so I cant reinstall anything.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try the easies way first

START > RUN, in the command line box type

SC START rpcss

hit enter.

What message did you get? DId you disable any other services while you were mucking about?

defencebuilder

defencebuilder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
when I typed that in a dos screen flashed in the center of the screen only for a split second not long enough to read it. It does not seem to have helped anything though. I can not look at the properties of anything on that screen.

no i did not turn anything else off.

I can not start any browsers now and norton will not load up so that I can check for a virus. I can not run the windows update either. the prolbem just seems to get worse every time I mess with the computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run type
CMD
enter
now type
sc start rpcss

report back on findings

defencebuilder

defencebuilder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
when I tried to start the service through a command promot it told me " [SC] StartService FAILED 1058"
" The service canot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

I can not drag and drop any thing on my computer really weird also cant resize pages or screens. hope that helps.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Try start>run, type regedit hit enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
Click the RpcSs key.
Right click the start entry in the right pane and select modify. Set to 2
Exit the registry editor. Reboot.

defencebuilder

defencebuilder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
value was already set to 2
maby its already running but something is wrong with the services part of the OS?
could this be a virus or something not wanting my anti virus to run....
I have been backing up my files the best I can to CD so that I can reinstall windows off a new copy of xp I ordered but do I need to wory about transfering this prolbem to the fresh install.