Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linksys Wireless Network.....

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I set up a wireless/wired network last night. The router is a Linksys WRT54GS and the laptop is using a Linksys WUSB54GS usb adapter. My desktop is cabled to the router and the laptop is using the wireless adapter.

Everything works great. The two computers can share files and both can access the Internet. No problems.....

But if I bring up Task Manager, performance, (on the laptop)I notice that the cpu is oscillating between 1-80%. That's not good. With a wired network it runs 1-4%. If I shut the wireless client down, it goes back to 1-4%, where it should be.

My machines are clean. No spyware or virus's. All that is running on the laptop besides the wireless client is free Avast and SpySweeper.

So what's up with this cpu oscillating from 1-80% on the wireless laptop? Can someone check their wireless laptops and tell me what they see....

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you pluggin the adaptor into the front or one of the back usb ports? Also, did you install the entire software package for the WUSB54GS? If you did, I would uninstall that and then just update the driver manually on the next reboot, making the computer look for the driver on the CD. Also, did you put the CD for the router and install the software for it? If you did, uninstall it since it is not needed.

Fenor

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
the laptop has two usb ports on the side. not much choice.

the desktop is connected via ethernet to the router.

It gets worse....I've disabled the wireless and just have the desktop connected to the router via ethernet. the cpu on the desktop is fuctuating between 25-35%. If updating the software doesn't help, this Linksys gear is junk. Using the old D-Link router, the cpu was 1-4%.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just for curiosity sake, what happens if you go into the device manager and disable all ethernet controllers? (both wired and wireless adapters)

I would reboot after disabling them to get an accurate CPU usage.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Also, you didn't answer my previous questions entirely. Specifically about whether or not you installed the software for the adapter and the router.

Edited by Fenor, 19 November 2006 - 03:22 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, Linksys stuff isn't junk, it's the software that they say you "need" to install to use them that is. Make sure you have uninstalled all software related to Linksys in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS list.

Fenor

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I installed all software per instructions.....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I used to work in a bank server room. If we saw this type of cpu activity we were on the phone to an engineer immediately...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Humor me and uninstall everything related to Linksys in ADD/REMOVE programs. (that being for both the router and the wireless adapter) Then reboot your computer and when the found new hardware wizard appears, click cancel to close the window.

Now go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc to bring up the DEVICE MANAGER. In the new window that appears, you should notice an item with a yellow question mark next to it. Right-click this item and choose UPDATE DRIVER. The update driver window will now appear. Select No, not this time. on the first screen and click NEXT. On the next screen, select Install from a list or specific location. (Advanced) and click NEXT. On the next screen check the box for Include this location in the search and then click the BROWSE button and locate the folder you extracted the files to from the attached zip file and click OK. Click NEXT. The wizard will now search for, find and install the driver. It may pop up a window about the driver not being tested by Microsoft for compatibility, but just click CONTINUE INSTALLATION.

You will now be able to use the wireless adapter to connect to the linksys wireless router. Just right-click the wireless icon in the systray and select View Available Networks. Locate yours and click CONNECT and enter in any encryption information that is needed. (If you set up any).

You're now set to go and your computer CPU shouldn't be working too hard anymore...

Fenor

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
now that the wireless has been disabled for awhile, the cpu useage is back to 1-5% on both computers. I'll try what you advise but clearly there is a problem with their product, even if it's only the software. That should be obvious.....

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Linksys software is utter garbage, but their products are the best out. I never use software that comes with wireless adapters or routers, because I like to have more control over those items and using the device's software lessens that control. And also, Windows XP's and Linksys' wireless software conflict with each other and cause all sorts of problems, hence why I am suggesting to only install the driver manually and not the software package.

Fenor

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
First off: thanks for your help Fenor.

I downloaded the latest driver from Linksys. I noticed that this driver was released a week after the release of the one I was trying to install. Obviously, they new there was something wrong with the other one.

Even browsing to the Driver folder it won't install. There's nothing in there that resembles a driver. I don't have time to mess with this any more tonight. I'll give it another shot tommorow.

Thanks again.....

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you download the file, you need to extract the files from the exe file. Once extracted, do what I said above to manually update the driver for it and have it look in the DRIVERS folder.

Fenor

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
OK....I got it installed. There was one hitch. I was receiving the following message which prevented installation:

the adapter's name "is already in use as either a service name or a service display name."

I searched the registry for 'linksys' and once I deleted all entries it installed.

The cpu on the laptop is now in the 1-5% range whrere it should be.

I searched the desktop for linksys software and found none. It's cpu is running 18-25%....not bad. I guess there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks again Fenor.....

edit....now that I've turned off ssid, the cpu on the desktop is at 1-5%.....

Edited by macten, 21 November 2006 - 01:57 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad it's working good for you now! :whistling:

Fenor