Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freespire

• Please log in to reply

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I had an old Gateway laptop lying around and decided to install Freespire Linux on to it. Everything is working fine. I can connect to the internet through a cable connected to a port on my router. I have since purchased a belkin wireless bus card and after reading several suggestions on installling the drivers via ndiswrapper I can not get this to work. Does anyone have a good step by step guide to do this or maybe have the time and knowledge to tackle this as I am no linux expert by anymeans and I just want to do away with the wire. And yes my router is a linksys wireless 54g router, compatible with the belkin card, as it works fine with the dell laptop with XP. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Launch a terminal windows (like Konsole), I'm not exactly sure how to do this in Freespire but try going to Launch -> Run command and type xterm.

Then type lspci and hit enter. Does it list your device? If so, then your computer is probably able to use the wireless but is still on the wired setting. Look in internet connection settings and see if you can make different profiles for wired and wireless so you can switch back and forth.

Sorry I couldn't provide more detailed help on how to do these things, but I don't use Freespire. Please post back your results or any questions and I will try my best on answering them :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Generally when you find alot of reviews thats a bad thing i have one it sucks ive had two now neither work and when they do they are hard to set up.

What you need to find out is the model of the belkin card and the chipset of its wireless chip, its usually a Ralink chip sometimes a broadcom.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
If it comes to worst you can always use ndiswrapper (use windows drivers on linux).

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts

If it comes to worst you can always use ndiswrapper (use windows drivers on linux).

I think that's what he's trying to do but can't get it to work...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You are always better with native drivers Ndiswrapper has its own set of problems.