Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc wont start

• Please log in to reply

jfinn24

jfinn24

• Pip
  • 6 posts
it first started happening after a storm we had but the pc was unpluged from the net and the power point, any ways i tryed to boot it up and it doesnt turn on... the lights and fans start but thats it nothing shows up on the monitor... then i left it for a day and it started ok... so i was trying to get the internet to work (as the phone line extension cable was faluty and was short circiting though the plug that gets pluged into the pc, so i got a new cable) but the computer was saying that the modem was busy or not found. so i turned the pc off and removed the modem asnd pluged it back in... then the pc lock up during start up ... lights and fans spining but nothing showing on screen... the monitor didnt even know that the computer was on... like if it wasnt sending any infomation... so i left it again for a hr and it started ok but the modem was stil busy... so i thought mabye the modem is damaged from the flauty cord so i got my spare working modem and replaced the one in the computer with it... then the pc would not start again... same thing nothing was being sent to the montor for it to display... so i left it 1 hr again... and now it half starts it gets past the windows xp loading bar but then the screen goes black and all you can seee is the mouse which moves very slow...

so every time i make a hardwere change the pc shows nothing onscreen and i have to leave it for 1hr and then it starts up but stops at a black screen with only the mouse visible...

any ideas as i need to get it working so that my sister and brother can do there school work on...

EDIT: this may or may not be much but the computer was still conected over the networked to my second computer which was also unpluged from the power point during the same storm and the second computer is broken 2... the mobo is stuffed... im not sure if that is involved with the first pc's problems...
i just want the first pc fixed atm ...

Advertisements

jfinn24

jfinn24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
if u need to ask me something could you tell me what to do if the answer is yes or no as i may not relpy for a while as i have to drive over to my neiboughs house to use the net so i cannot check things quickly...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like you have lightning damage to your computers. When you say you had the power point off, do you mean you were unplugged from the house wall socket? If you were not fully unplugged from the house electrical system you may still have ben damaged by a lightning strike. A lightning damaged computer can show a variety of problems depending on how strong the power surge was. One computer i had a power surge only damaged the sound system to where at full volume you could barely hear it. This was a damaged motherboard that could not be fixed. I've had modems, video, and network cards damaged separately and together and have had them replaced to get the computers fixed.

It sounds like your modem has been hit by lightning so it is not working at all. If it is an internal modem inside your computer there could be more damage done to the motherboard and other hardware in the computer. I know this can happen because it has happened to me at least 5 times over the years. 8 computers has been damaged and 2 have been damaged badly enough for me to toss most of the computers in the trash, saving only what parts worked right.

Lightning is such a problem where i live that i have my whole house on UPS's including appliances, TV's and all computer, video, and stereo equipment. Telephone and cable lines have their own special surge suppressors as even a power surge can destroy equipment easily.

SRX660

jfinn24

jfinn24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
im fairly sure it was turned off and unplugged completely

jfinn24

jfinn24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i removed everything apart form the processor and the pc always beeps (telling you that its looking for ram) and the monitor was detecing that a pc was pluged in and turned on as the power light on the monitor was on... but once ram is in it locks up... (lightsa and fans going but the monitor doesnt recive any signal... where the power light flashes (like a standby mode)... so i left it for a hr and the it started and the monitor recived the signals and the it stopped starting up becasue there was no hard drive, keyboard, mouse, floppy, cd drive...

so i dunno if it might be the ram or not...
i got another stick that i will try...

jfinn24

jfinn24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tryed the other ram stick and it has the same problem... lights and fans atart but it does nothing else (the monitor recives no signal from pc)... so its not ram... that means its something seroius right... (if there is only ram and processor in and it still happens...)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you cannot get any video at all perhaps you video hardware is damaged. Is the video on your computer a card or is it on-board. On-board video usually has the VGA adapter for the monitor together with all the other connections in the back of the computer. This includes the mouse, keyboard, USB, and sound connectors. A video card is just that, a card that plugs into the motherboard and usually has a connector separated from the motherboard connectors. If the on-board video doesn't work you may be able to plug in a PCI or AGP (according to any slots you have on the motherboard) video card and get video to your monitor.

SRX660

jfinn24

jfinn24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its strange if you leave the pc off for a hr it works but the stopes after ther windows loading bar thingy... with just a blank screen only a mouse visisble... so the vedio does work... the pc is onboard video and i dont have a spare video card that fits into the pc...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What happens when you keep hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up? Do you get to a screen where you can choose from different options? Can you choose safe mode and get to a odd looking windows desktop?

If you can get to the desktop in safe mode you may be able to do a restore back to a previous working state. Go to the accessorys folder/system tools and see if you can do a system restore.

If that does not work try doing the F8 thing again and see if choosing the "last known good configuration" will bring back the desktop.

Again if the above does not work see if putting a windows XP CD in the cdrom drive will start installing the OS again after rebooting.

If none of the above seems to help you probably have a damaged MB, or HD and they need replacing before you can go any further.

SRX660