Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which processor?

• Please log in to reply

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
The Sony Vaio laptop I am looking to purchase gives me the option to upgrade the CPU, and I'm uncertain whether it is worth the money. The only gaming I really do is The Sims 2, other than that my computer is used mostly for the internet and word processing. An Intel Celeron M Processor 430 comes standard. Is this sufficient? The other processors I looked at going up to were the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5500 ($120 more) or the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 ($170 more). If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it!

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I think its worth the extra money, for either option. And who knows what the Sims 3 is gonna require if it shows up one day?

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
If you doing just doing word and playing Sims 2 then stay with the basic model. There is no reason to upgrade unless you feel like you need the extra processor power which it sounds like you do not.

I would hang on to the basic one but IF....and IF is the big question you feel that your going to do more gaming, applications, etc I would pay the extra money for the upgrade.

From what you have stated though it does not sound like you need it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
rule of thumb, if it is working fine why change it, the longer you wait the more you get for your money, upgrade when you must not before,

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would spring for the lowest end core 2 duo. Its not much more and it will spank the pants off of the celeron. If you really think all your going to do is play sims2 with basic apps the celeron would be fine yes but I dont think you will honestly be pleased with the celeron.

Lets put it this way. How much memory will be on the laptop? If its a low ammount like 512mb there is no need to get the core 2 duo as the memory will be slowing down your computer.

Edited by jrm20, 19 November 2006 - 07:47 PM.