Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts, (help please)

• Please log in to reply

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, i have been having recent computer problems, like how my hard drive space gets eaten up by god knows what, lol. and i decided to reboot my computer to an earlier time (forgot what it was called) while it was rebooting my computer to an earlier time, i forgot that there was this one important file i had on my computer, and pressed the restart button on my computer (the dumbest move i had ever made). So, when it restarted, it opened up this screen that says something like.. the computer was restarted maybe because of some hard ware or software change, and then it puts the seconds until the computer starts again (something like that, i cant put it in exact words). I waited for the computer to start and after it did, there was a blank screen, and it restarted the whole process over again. Now i can turn on my computer, but it just does the thing i explanied again and again. does anyone know what i should do? I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you very much for your time.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You stopped the system restore process before it was finished which is never a good idea. If that important file was one you created yourself or downloaded, system restore would not have zapped it anyway as it only restores vital system files and the Windows Registry. Try continually tapping the F8 key while it's booting until you get a startup menu. Choose "last known good configuration" if it's available.

Edited by pip22, 20 November 2006 - 07:16 AM.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Almost the same thing happened to me. I was trying to set a restore point and then restart...then my pc froze....so I pushed the power button. It kept going to the windows logo screen and restarting. I could get to the bios. And after I hit f8 to try last known good cofiguration and safe mode, the same thing happened. Nothing worked. I gave up and re-installed windows. I tried everything i could think of...

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have no idea, but how do you reinstall windows? (i have never done it before)

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello.

Typically windows comes with whats called an install disk. It's a disk you put into the machine to restore or install whatever programs your heart desires. If for some reason you bought a cheap computer/lap top it could be possible that you might not have a install disk but instead something called a "restore disk" or "recovery disk".

Either way put the disk into the computer. It will try to start up normally. Then it will goto a screen and have instructions. If you have anything on the hard drive you need to save you might want to try repairing windows before completely re-installing it to see if it fixes the problem.

However if the problem still exists after repairing then most likely your going to need to reinstall.

Keep us posted on your progress. :whistling:

Edited by pyron81, 20 November 2006 - 07:34 PM.

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks alot for all the replies, but is there any other way to install it? like use F8 or something like that. For some reason, its not working. T_T

thanks alot

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
No I am afraid that if you in fact need to re install windows then you need the windows disk. There is no way around it.

Sorry :whistling:

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh, alright, thanks alot for your help and putting up with me. i really appreciate it, thanks again. =)

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
if you have the disc in and its not working, try hitting f12 during startup get to the boot priority menu. make sure you check the drive that the disc is in first

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
after hitting f12, i still go back to the same screen where it tells me "windows did not start up completely because of the following problems" or something like that. Is it supposed to have that screen or another screen?

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi,

Maybe I misunderstood what you said but do you have the windows disk? Is your CD ROM not booting at start-up?

Let us know.

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah, i dont think my cd drive or cd rom is booting up. What i meant was like, is it possible to start up the cd rom another way? (anyway would be fine)

from earlier posts:
"thanks alot for all the replies, but is there any other way to install it? like use F8 or something like that. For some reason, its not working. T_T

thanks alot"

I just read that again, and I hope you didnt get the wrong message with the "Thanks alot" at the end. I really meant thanks, and reading it over again, it sounded like i was being sarcastic. (wasnt really paying attention when i was typing it. xD )

happy holidays.

Edited by Jagger7, 22 November 2006 - 04:31 PM.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Ahhh okay.

Well when windows starts up does it ask you to press F something to start safe mode or bios? I would check to see if when you push the power button if the CD is lighting up?

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Another thing I meant to ask was could you explain the first day this started happening and what was going wrong or give me a run down of what the computer was doing before it crashed like this?

Happy Holidays. :whistling:

Jagger7

Jagger7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well, the reason why i rebooted my computer, was because something kept taking up all the hard drive space, minute by minute. I thought I had no other choice but to install windows all over again. I wasnt sure if it was a virus or something, but the scans did not detect anything. My computer was getting very slow, with all the hard drive space being taken up, i think thats the reason, why it got so slow. So, thats when i tried to return my computer to an earlier time, and when i made the mistake of pressing the reset button.

"Ahhh okay.

Well when windows starts up does it ask you to press F something to start safe mode or bios? I would check to see if when you push the power button if the CD is lighting up?"

when windows starts up, it doesnt ask me to press F8 or anything. The CD is lighting up.