Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change Time delay on GRUB

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
hey guys,

I'm slowly becoming familiar with Ubuntu (best distro out there). I've successfully got my system setup for dual-boot with Win XP Pro. However, I can't figure out how to change the time-delay that GRUB shows the boot options. Is it possible to change that time-delay to > 10 seconds? I don't know how many times I tell Win to restart and i get distracted long enough to see Ubuntu booting by default, as GRUB timed out to boot Ubuntu by default.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by jester620, 19 November 2006 - 08:59 PM.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Go to terminal. Type:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_backup
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

(If you're wondering what these commands do, the first line backs up the file so in case you mess it up and the second opens up the file).

Find the line:

timeout	 3

Edit the 3 to 10 (or whatever you want it to be).

Save (Ctrl+S) and exit.

Edited by mpfeif101, 20 November 2006 - 12:52 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
While the above works, a bit more information. Grub uses the file /boot/grub/menu.lst to determine the default boot device, the boot order, any options for each selection, as well as the timeout value. You can edit this file, but as was mentioned backing up the old file is a good idea. You can use any editor which you are familar with as it is just a text file.

Also, there is often a control panel way to change the file, which should do some error checking, but may not do what you really want to do.