Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

prevent parallel-to-USB printer going to sleep?

• Please log in to reply

fgasper

fgasper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I have an old HP Laserjet 4L that is plugged into my new-ish Dell via a USB parallel port - you know, just a cable with a Centronics on one end and a normal USB plug on the other. It works very well, except for if I leave the computer on for a long time, the printer appears to go into some kind of power save mode, but doesn’t come out of it when I want to print!

Even rebooting doesn’t always solve the problem, which is frustrating. This has never happened when plugging the printer into an actual parallel port. I am thinking, if I could somehow disable what I am assuming is some power-save ju-ju, that would solve the issue....maybe. I am in kinda new territory here.

Any solutions, other than waiting for a cheap-after-rebate laser printer on slickdeals/fatwallet/etc.?

NB: the USB/parallel adapter I am using was about $10. Possible defect in this device?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Try this :

Go to Start->Run and type devmgmt.msc <OK>
Locate the USB Controller branch in device manager & expand it. Look for an entry called 'USB Root Hub' (there may be more than one)
Right click on Root hub & select Properties
Click on the Power Management tab & clear the checkbox labelled 'Allow computer to turn off this device....'
Click OK

Repeat this procedure for any other root hub entries you have in device manager.