Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Startup Problems

• Please log in to reply

nibinc

nibinc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry if this problem has already been discussed, but I did search the older posts and didn't find anything similar.

Anyway, the problem is that when I start the computer, everything moves along as it should and the Windows ME screen comes up and then the desktop appears. Once the desktop appears, it stays for 1-3 seconds before the computer automatically reboots. As it starts up again, it runs Scandisk because Windows was improperly shut down and then comes back to the desktop screen and reboots again - and it continues this cycle until I shut the computer off via the power button.

So the background of the computer is that it's a PIII and only about 3.5 yrs old. It came with an OEM version of ME on it but I can't find the disk and I'm not sure if it even came with one. I then upgraded to XP Home and all was fine. However, I started having problems with XP after I downloaded some video conversion software and wanted to switch back to ME since I really only use the computer for browser testing.

Anyway, I borrowed an ME disk, ran fdisk from a ME boot disk, reformatted the hard drive to FAT32 and reinstalled ME. I've done this process a few times with the same results and never receive any errors during install.

Next, I decided to borrow my dad's 98SE disk to try that and see if it worked. Followed the same process of reformatting the hard drive and installing, but the same problem occurred with 98SE.

I'm completely at a loss as to why it's not working, but I'm almost positive it has to be a software problem as the computer has been rarely used. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you been playing inside the computer ?
If yes check the cables but most of all check your RAM

nibinc

nibinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I've actually never opened the computer. However, now I think it might be a hardware problem. I went ahead and tried upgrading to XP Home, and it copied all the files to the hard drive, but Windows will not start. All I get is the IBM intro screen cycling back and forth.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry you will have to ask someone else I don't really Know Ibm
they are a bit different to others.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
It sounds like hardware, at this point since nothing will install and run. If you have the patience, you might try reinstalling win98se again using the reference on this site.
reason: eliminate the install process as a cause

SKIP the partition steps for now(step 5). I'm not sure about IBM, but HP and Compaq have boot partitions that become lost if the drive is repartitioned.

the reference is pinned on the Windows 95, 85, ME forum
http://www.geekstogo...s_98-t9803.html

nibinc

nibinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I actually tried that install with no luck. But now I think the problem might be the monitor driver - probably erased it during one of my many reformats. The reason I think it's that is because I tried running a Live CD version of Linux and it worked fine up to the point where it gave me the message 'undefined video mode'.

So I guess my next question is how to install the monitor driver. I have the original 3.5in IBM Monitor Installation floppy, but can this be installed by booting up with a boot floppy into DOS since I can't run any version of Windows?

nibinc

nibinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not sure if installing via DOS is an option. On the floppy, there are 4 files:

-IBM_6332.INF
-IBM_6332.ICM
-IBM_6332.CAT
-README.DOC

In the readme.doc, the instructions are:
When you start your system, Windows will detect that you have added new hardware and will choose a default setting. To get the optimum performance from your monitor, you should load the files from the diskette supplied with your IBM monitor. To do this, carry out the following steps:
1. Open the Display Properties Window (Click on Start, then Settings, then Control Panel and then double click on
the Display icon).
2. Click on the Settings tab.
3. Click "Advanced Properties".
4. Under Monitor Type, click the Change button.
5. Insert the diskette and click the Have Disk button.
6. Click the OK button.
7. Choose your monitor type and click OK. The files will be copied from the diskette.
8. Close all open windows and remove the diskette.
9. Restart the system.

I can copy the files to the hard drive, but I don't think I can execute them - not sure if I copy to Windows dir or another. Or maybe I need to figure out how to set up a new boot partition???