Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think I've just killed my HDD!

• Please log in to reply

arborphile

arborphile

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My external HDD took a fall from on top of my pc tower. Now my pc won't recognise it at all. I have removed it from its box and hooked it up to the connection I use for my DVD drive...still no joy.

Is there anything I can do besides get someone to recover the data and buy a new HDD?

Is data recovery expensive?

Arb.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is some info on data recovery:
http://faq.storagere...ge=DataRecovery

Spinrite v6.0 may be a possible solution: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Edited by austin_o, 20 November 2006 - 08:10 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It depends on what is damaged. If the control board is damaged, you might be able to get another disk of the same type, perhaps needing to be the same firmware level, and try it on your disk. It could also be a connector problem or some other mechanical problem.

Is the disk recognized at all, such as from the setup menu? If not, it is likely the disk control board. The system might not recognize it because it can't see a valid partition table/filesystem, so you need to check it at a lower level.

You might also try the disk maker's diagnostic program. Most are available for free on their web site.