Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing a broadband connection with 2 computers?

• Please log in to reply

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have two computers that I want to share a single broadband connection. Obviously the internet won't run as fast as it would on two computers as it would on one single machine. Where can I get an 'adapter' - or what are they adapters called - that allow me to have effectively an ethernet splitter to bring two ethernet cables out into each computer as well as the phone line from the phone socket? Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

that allow me to have effectively an ethernet splitter to bring two ethernet cables out into each computer as well as the phone line from the phone socket? Thanks

why are you wanting to bring ethernet and phone to each?

there are a few ways to accomplish this...

but the easiest would be to get an ethernet hub (cheapest), an ethernet switch (more expensive but better than a hub) or a router (most expensive of the three...but won't break the bank...and easiest for scalability)....
personally...i would suggest getting a router...as it's the easiest way to go....you could even get a wireless router so that you can have wireless if you want it in the future...

basically your connection would be....connection from wall to the modem...ethernet from the modem to the router...then ethernet or wireless from the router to the pcs....should be virtually plug and play in this setup

Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You may want to check the documents that came with your modem. I find that many ADSL providers have a built in router, although they do not always have a built in switch or hub so multiple computers can connect. This will save you time and money if in fact it does have an on-board router. You would only have to purchase a hub or switch in that case. The easiest way to determine if you have a router incorporate into your modem would be call your ISP with the brand and model number. If not you could post the brand and model and we could research it for you.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well that was the initial plan. I bought a Belkin Wireless Router(F5D7230-4) and a Zoom ADSL X5 Modem (Model 5554). I am currently trying to configure the modem, but am having problems with that, as the computer restarted after I knocked the power cable and the LAN connection has disappeared?! And I don't know how to get it back?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
According to the Zoom X5 documentation this modem comes with a NAT router built in. This means you have to set your Belkin router up as an WAP (Wireless Access Point), or aquire a hub or switch (perferred) to complete your LAN.

Cheap Access Point
Cheap Switch
Cheap Hub

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I could do that, but the fact the LAN network has completely disappeared off my system after I finished configuring the modem, I am at the moment completley screwed because I can't seem to get the LAN to show up again

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Reset your modem. Unplug the modem and turn off the computer. After at least one minute plug the modem back in. Wait one more minute (to ensure the modem has pulled a valid gateway IP) and then plug your computer back on. You should be able to use that one ethernet port on the modem till you acquire a hub\switch\WAP.
I personally do not like or trust WIFI, but that is ONLY my opinion. I would stay wired.