Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Channel Ram

• Please log in to reply

DannyPhilly

DannyPhilly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, i'm gonna try and make this as simple as possible hahahaha....

I have an ASUS A8R-MVP mobo, dual channel compatiable, I have 2x1GB sticks of XMS Dual channel kit memory and I also have a separate stand alone 1GB stick from another manufacturer..., My question is....
If I were to put the first 2 sticks in dual channel and then also put the 3rd stick in (giving me3 total GB of ram), would that third stand-alone stick basically null the other 2 in dual channel and just make it 3GB of ram, 2 of which are NOT in dual channel? or can that third stick be in while NOT disrupting the other 2 being in dual channel? I hope this is easily understandable hahahaha...please help

Thanks,
Danny

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would probably kick them all into single channel a third stick will often cause problems as well, alot of mobos specifically say not to 3 sticks. It should though be in your motherboard manual, usually its found in a table showing compatible memory combinations. If you dont have your manual it is worthwhile to get a copy from the asus website.

DannyPhilly

DannyPhilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah your probably right, The manual does show diagrams o 2 sticks and 4 sticks but fails to mention anything about 3 sticks, but when I did have 3 sticks in I would have random restarts and since I've taken it out, the computers been running fine. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I know in my mobo under the table in the manual ive got a box saying dont use 3 sticks its not going to work.