Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing graphics file?

• Please log in to reply

pandemonium

pandemonium

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening :blink:

New here, well in the last 1/2 hour. Looks like the sort of Forum that needs a lot more looking at with it's comprehensive topics.

In the meantime, back at the ranch........

Win XP. SP2. Firefox Ver. 2

I have tried to use the Search here, but it keeps telling me that there aren't enough letters etc etc. A bit hard when I was using the exact name of the subject. Possibly I'm not using it correctly. :whistling:

I was searching for a missing file that came up while updating XP over the original. It appears to have been generally satisfactory, except for the following message that arrived during the install.

" Requires VIA AGP 1.SYS on VIA AGP Filter Driver Disk"

I have never had a Disk for my VIA board & have Googled for it to no avail.

The effects I am getting are a mushy Mouse Pointer, & a "rolling" of the page as the side slide bar is used. Obviously, this makes it quite difficult, nay, annoying, when browsing.
The resolution appeared to change as well & now it's on 800 x 600 pixels & any other XP standard settings are far too small.

Am I correct in thinking it's possibly all to do with the graphics card? It was fine until the update.

I trust I am not being presumptuous requesting some help so soon, but it was searching for this info that brought me here.

Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi pandemonium...

Try rolling back the drivers for the display adapter.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In the list of devices, expand (click +) Display Adapters, right click on your adapter, and choose "Properties".

Click on the "Driver" tab and choose "Properties"...click the "Roll Back Driver" button. Apply the changes and reboot.

Does doing this improve the display?

wannabe1

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply wannabe 1 & you will think I am either daft or blind, or both. :whistling:

In the whole list of Dev. Manr. I cannot see "Display Adapters" listed.

Could it be under another name?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And therein lies the problem...

Download Everest, install it, and run it on the machine. In the left pane, expand (click +) "Display", then click on "Windows Video". What is listed under "Device Description" in the right pane?

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks w1. "I will return". :whistling:

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Still trying to dl Everest but it seems quite slow & it's only 4 Mb. :whistling: :blink:

Will keep at it & post results later on.

Hhhmmmm, not sure now, but is it Hippo that's slow?

Thanks

D

Edited by pandemonium, 20 November 2006 - 04:52 PM.

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Not having any luck dl Everest. :whistling:

Is there any other prog. that does the same thing, or can you check to see that the dl site is still ok? I notice they aren't supporting it after March 06.

Thanks.

D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you use the link in my ealier reply? I just used that and it downloaded fine (from filehippo). :whistling: Is it the download that's failing or the install?

I'm pretty sure that These Drivers will solve the problem, I would just like to verify what the installed (or, in this case, not installed) video adapter actually is before you install them.

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes w1 that is the link I have been using. As a test, I clicked on your "These Drivers," but that is not going anywhere either. More problems perhaps? :)

Odd thing though. Nero 6 screen comes up even though I have "End tasked" it. Whether this is causing grief also :whistling: :blink: :help:

Thanks.

D

Btw. "These Drivers" link is not showing up in Task Mangr.

D

Edited by pandemonium, 20 November 2006 - 05:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

updating XP over the original

Can you explain this for me? Just how it was accomplished? Perhaps we need to go another direction on this one.

Advertisements

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for your patience. :whistling:

I had been told that XP could be installed over the top of the original as an update & some info on MS seemed to bear this out. I live in a reasonably remote area & anything I can do I will try within reason.

So I did. It wasn't a total uninstall & a reformatting install.

All seemed to go well enough except this "missing" VIA AGP file & then I got the woozy screen which is driving me nuts. :help:

That's about it all really, w1.

Aaah yes. The reason for doing this was to try & find some missing Nero Backitup required DLL. ""Needs windows original WNASPI32.DLL" as I back up every 3 months.

Nero is still crook.:blink:

D

D

D

Edited by pandemonium, 20 November 2006 - 05:33 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the the basic procedure you used? In Place Upgrade (Repair Installation)

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:blink: :help: :) I wish.

No, nothing as sophisticated as that. I never knew that existed.

I dropped the XP CD in, looked for options to do this & did it. Seemed ok on the day. :whistling:

D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you went into Device Manager (Post #2), were there any yellow ? or ! displayed next to any devices?

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Have double checked & opened them all up & no, nothing like that. I know what you mean though.

D