Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing graphics file?

• Please log in to reply

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Device Description Device Type
Trident 3Dimage 9880 (Blade 3D) Video Adapter
Trident 3Dimage 9880 (Blade 3D) 3D Accelerator

I am in your hands,wbe1. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...we're getting closer... :whistling:

What's the make and model of your machine? If it's a custom build, look in the Everest Report for the make and model number of the motherboard. Post the information here for me.

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Here's ALL the info from Everest. I hope it helps. :whistling:
[quote]Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 01/10/2001-694X-596B-Ali-6A6LJJ19C-00
Motherboard Name Jetway 994AN-L/AS-L

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices LAN
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 190 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset ApolloPro133A

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Jetway Information Co., Ltd.
Product Information http://www.jetway.co...oduct/index.htm
BIOS Download http://www.jetway.co.../bios/index.htm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Jetway MoBo...would this be a Compaq computer? Your drivers are proving a challenge... :whistling:

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No not a Compaq. It was built up by a bloke who did them for a big Insurance Co. here.

In those days I thought that's how they were all done. :whistling: [Naive smiley here] :blink:
It has given very little trouble generally speaking, & this 'Tsunami Effect' seems to have been brought about by my "rebuilding", so to speak. :help: :)

D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's get all the information on your machine...

Download and install WinAudit. Run it on your machine and save a report using the "Save" icon (floppy) on the toolbar. Name it with your username here and as (File type) Adobe PDF if possible, or Web Page (with images). I preferr the PDF format, but either will be fine.

Attach the report to an email to me...I'll PM you with my address. Give me a bit to look it over (this is a big one) and we'll see if I can spot just what it is that you need.

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

and we'll see if I can spot just what it is that you need.

A Nuclear Bomb, I shouldn't wonder. :whistling: :blink:

Ok, will do. Thank you.

D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...I need you to check a setting in the BIOS for me. Do you know how to enter the BIOS setup on your machine?

If the audit is reporting correctly, AGP Support is disabled...we need to enable this. You may have to look around a bit in there to find it. Be sure to save any changes when you exit BIOS setup (F10).

Your display adapter isn't listed as a device, yet the AGP slot shows as "In Use". If the AGP is not enabled, then the system can't see what's in the slot...just that there's something there. Kinda fits the symptoms...yes?

All your display drivers are installed and are reported as "Ok".

Not exactly a nuke, but it just might work. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just a quick note to let you know you haven't been forgotten. I'm looking into a BIOS update for your motherboard. The manufacturer's website is a little less than helpful so it is taking me a bit.

Happy Thanksgiving!

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks R. :whistling: I didn't think I had been, as I know these things can take time especially if the Manuf. doesn't play ball.

Apart from the "rolling when scrolling" everything else still appears to be ok, or is saying that tempting the Gods? :blink:

D

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

"rolling when scrolling"

Can you describe this in a bit more detail for me?

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
When I scroll using the side bar, the smallest increment of movement, both up & down, causes the page to roll down in lines which, imho, are the bars from the box borders. As I scroll, it is a succession of lines of all the boxes from in the direction of scrolling.

Something like the lines you see when watching TV &there is another monitor in shot & the lines roll.
Not exactly, but very similar.

The screen res. also went 'large' at the same time this problem occurred & even on the lowest res. 800 x 600 is too large, but on 1024 x 768 it is too small.
When installing XP I noticed a box flash up saying something like "Windows reccomends this setting as the most suitable" or words to that effect, so believing Windows knows best, I clicked ok. Bad move I suspect.
Possibly there is a way to go back???? Probably the same problem I suspect. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's play with some settings...

First, the display. Set the resolution to 1024 X 768 and "Apply" the change. Then right click on the desktop and choose "Properties"...click on the "Appearance" tab, then on the "Effects" button. Tick the box next to "Use Large Icons" and click "Ok".

Does this help with the display size problem?

pandemonium

pandemonium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes, R, that is now much better. :whistling: I can tweak font sizes, but that is a biiiiig improvement.

Has not effected the rolling or lumpy cursor though, but slowly slowly eh?

D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

Now the rolling issue...

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. In the System Properties window, under the "Visual Effects" tab, tick the "Custom" radio button, then tick all of the boxes in the box and "Apply" the change. Close the System Properties window.

In Control Panel again, double click on the "Internet Options" icon. In the Internet Options window, under the "Advanced" tab, scroll down in the box and tick the box next to "Use Smooth Scrolling". If you find this box already ticked, untick it. "Apply" the change. Close the Internet Options wondow.

Back in Control Panel, double click on the "Mouse" icon. In the Mouse Properties window, under the "Wheel" tab, change whatever settings you see to reduce the "lines per notch" of wheel motion...this will vary by mouse brand so this is about as precise as I can be. "Apply" the changes and close the Properties windows.

Reboot and try the scrolling...any change?