Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My networking half works....help

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok, I basically wanted to be able to transfer files and share printers between my pc and laptop. So I set them up to be networked through my router. I did the whole process on Windows XP and I did the same on my laptop (with the network configuration file they gave me after finishing on my pc). After that, I shared all the printers and then tested everything. From PC, I could see my own pc and my laptop. I could access all the shared folders, etc. Then I tried my laptop, I could see myself and that is it. My workgroup is the same and I have no domain.

I had this problem in college as well since I couldn't see anyone else on the network yet they could see me. I didn't think much of it at the time.

My pc is custom made by myself and it is running Windows XP Professional
My laptop is a dv2000t running the stock windows XP home edition.

I thought it would be cool to be on a network so I did it. BUt my laptop is pissing me off. I could install xp pro. on it and it should work, but i rather just get it to work how it is. Also, if I reinstall my own version of xp professional, I will need to download all the drivers for my builtin webcam, bluetooth, etc.

Thanks in advanced.

By the way, the method i used to set up my network is with the wizard provided by xp

Edited by neilp4453, 20 November 2006 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
xp pro doesn't offer any advantages in a peer to peer network setting over xp home...

have you checked all the firewall settings to make sure there are no conflicts?

Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, and make sure you've gotten the steps right

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
yes, infact, I turned off all firewalls to see what would happen and the same thing. Ill try the guide out. But I read that guide before posting (well some of it) and they go through a whole different method. And i have to change settings for active internet connections.........this won't affect it right?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And i have to change settings for active internet connections.........this won't affect it right?

depends on what you're talking about

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I followed that guide and did anything that I didn't do before. However, I still get the same result (except I discovered something new). I can see myself and my laptop from my pc, but I cannot access anything in the laptop. From the laptop, I still can't see anything other than myself.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
bumping it up.

also, all my settings should be right since one works and one doesn't. I used the same processes.

it seems my laptop won't allow itself to find others or let others access it (because my pc can find it). I am really frustrated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you checked to make sure that any firewalls are off or at least set to allow a local network?