Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting Video

• Please log in to reply

D2k

D2k

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a media center PC, this may sound stupid but im converting a number of MPG and DVR-MS files to smaller file sizes such as WMV. can converting videos do any damage to your computer?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
No converting video files won't harm your computer.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
wait, HOW are you converting it? I can't find ANY software that converts mp4 to avi...any suggestions? (now posted in its own topics)

Edited by interpolarity, 29 March 2007 - 07:33 PM.

candycaw

candycaw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Why not?
Many product would convert mp4 to avi, such as: CUCU, Imtoo, PQ
You can search them from google

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Converting will run your CPU at nearly 100%, sometimes for hours at a time, so it's important that it be free of dust and well ventilated for cooling. Also when converting you can generate very large files as an intermediate step, it works best when the new file is loaded to another hard drive, reading from one drive and writing to another is faster.

forkart

forkart

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I have a media center PC, this may sound stupid but im converting a number of MPG and DVR-MS files to smaller file sizes such as WMV. can converting videos do any damage to your computer?

You can use yasa wmv vdieo converter to convert mpeg and dvdr-ms to wmv video. It does a good job.
http://www.yasasoft....videoconverter/

Plumzzy

Plumzzy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's possible. I use VidLogo for it. I can convert mpg to avi or mov very simple and quickly and I haven't any problem with it. You can try it too.

Good luck!!!