Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First PC Build. Maybe PSU Problem?

• Please log in to reply

spl1nter

spl1nter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I decided to build my own PC for the first time.

Specs:
- ASUS A8N-E
- AMD X2 4600+
- Crucial 1Gb DDR PC3200 (CT12864Z40B)
- XFX 7600GT XXX
- Zalman ZM460-APS ATX Noiseless PSU 460W
- Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler
- Western Digital Caviar 400GB S150 16mb 7200rpm
- Antec P180

So, I hooked everything up (I believed) and powered up. The 3 case fans, heatsink, DVD-Drive, HDD and motherboard fan all started spinning. The mobos LED came on (no flickering) but nothing appeared on the screen. There was no beeping.

I then realised that I'd forgotten to connect the 12V ATX on my motherboard. Oops.

So I plugged it in and turned the power on expectantly.

I got a single, short beep and the mobo's LED came on. That was it. The fans didn't spin. The heatsink didn't spin. The heatsink's LED didn't come one. Nothing. And still no display on the screen.

Now, the 3 case fans are directly connected to the PSU so surely the only thing that can affect them is the PSU? Why would connecting the 12V ATX have an affect like this? I can only assume the PSU is faulty. It's not even like I skimped on it either - I made sure to buy a respectable brand. And 460W is easily enough for this system is it not?

I decided to disconnect all non-essential items (HDD, floppy, DVD-drive etc. etc.) and test the 12V ATX connection like above and I got exactly the same results.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Could be the power supply. Confirm that you connected both the 24 pin connector to the motherboard, and the 4 pin connector up near the processor. That being done, pull the video card, try again. If same behavior, pull the ram, try again.

Also - how many copper risers are you using between the motherboard and the case?