Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Networking With Cell Card

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok I have a desktop and a laptop. The laptop is online useing a wireless card from sprint. I have a linksys wireless G router. Is is possiable to use the router to make a network so the desktop can get online useing the laptop card?? I have tried, but am unable to make it work. Any help would be great!! Thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I will assume you are using XP (since you have it list under your name :whistling: ). To use that router you will have to configure the router a bit. First you need to enter the router's setup screen through Firefox or IE. Enter 192.168.1.1. The user name and password are by default admin untill you change them.
Now you need to change the Gateway option to Router. When you do that is will reconize you notebook as the deault gateway to the internet instead of it's self.
Personally I would not have used a router in this case. I would have used a switch or hub instead and used the notebook as my router. Use the XP New Connection Wizard to connect to your notebook from your desktop.

Edit:You can also set your wireless cards, on both your notebook and desktop, in "ad hoc" mode to connect them. This is equal to a crossover cable for a wireless connection. In "ad hoc" mode the computer looks for a peer to peer connection verse a LAN.

Edited by acklan, 21 November 2006 - 11:14 AM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
what is ad hoc? I am lost on that one...lol

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
This link will explain it. "ad hoc" mode

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
problem I am in the router setup screen... but am unable to find the "gateway" can you assist more?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
What model Linksys router do you have?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
wrk54g I think thats the model nuber :whistling:

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
can aNYONE finish helping me out on this one???

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello LiaoGoren, :whistling:

First off lets get your setup correct....
You have a modem that conects to a router (WRT54G).
You have a Laptop that is connecting to the router via a wireless broadcast. (need the Manufactures name and model)
You have a desktop that cannot connect to the internet at all?

1. Please correct any of the above to better clarify your situation, or just reply "Yes" if it is correct?

Then we need to know if im understanding what your wanting to do....

so the desktop can get online useing the laptop card

Does this mean that you want to remove the card from the laptop and put it into the desktop?
Does this mean that you want to use ICS and an ethernet bridge?
Does this mean that you dont know what your trying to do and you just want both PC's to be able to connect to the internet, with whatever hardware they already have?

2. Please pick one of the above three options for your network?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
lol you made me laugh. You gave great tecnical explanitions, and them dumbed it down...lol

ok I have a laptop that uses a connection card in the PCMCIA adapter from sprint to get online. I have a linksys WRK54G wireless router, that the laptop is connected to wirelessly. I have a desktop that is also connected to the same router, via an eithernet cable. I want to use the router to get the desktop online thru the card. I have been on the phone talking to idiots from sprint, linksys and some general computer folks... I am loseing my mind. No one seems to understand what I am trying to do.

Please help me if at all possiable! Also if you need anymore info I have it all :whistling:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

I want to use the router to get the desktop online thru the card.

Im not sure if i'm following you, but I think maybee your wanting to use the router as a ethernet bridge from the desktop to gain internet access through the the pcmia card in the laptop.. is that right?
Meaning you are using the pcmia card as your internet provider through like sierra wireless or some other wireless carrier?

If this is correct I dont think you can use your router for that purpose... while im waiting for you to answer that i'll find out for sure.... I cheat.... I work for an ISP and can call a linksys rep directly :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
You could also connect the laptop to the WAN port of the router, turn on a DHCP server in Windows, and have it subnet the IP that it's getting through the wireless card.

Or, you could directly connect the desktop and the laptop, either through an ad-hoc wireless or a crossover cable, and use ICS.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
yes my ISP is sprint, useing a connection card in my laptop. I have a desktop that has no internet, but I have the 2 computers networked thru the router. I want to use that router to get the desktop online, without hardwireing the laptop into the desktop! Linksys said its not possiable, and sprint said that you cant have more than one IP addy from the card. So I am asking the experts... lol I love this site, so many geeks like me to bounce my problems off of :whistling:

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
well I guess we still dont have a for sure answer? I am starting to think its not possiable!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF it's possible (wich it might not be) you'd either have to wire the laptop to the desktop (as already suggested) and set up ICS

or you'd have to set up an AD-HOC wireless network and set up ICS..

the most effective way (in this situation) to make an AD-HOC wireless setup would be for you to get awireless card for the desktop and take the router out of the situation (unless you're wanting to use that internet as well...which i don't thik you are)...this would basically be doing the exact same thing as wiring your pc to the laptop...and ICS would solve the issue of having one ip on the line (theoretically)