Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems reinstalling under xp

• Please log in to reply

some weird sin

some weird sin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I unistalled a game a few months ago, a gamethat had worked perfectly for over a year. I then upgraded to Windows SP2. Recently deciding to reinstall the program, I placed the CD in the main drive (set to autoplay). The launcher appears, but then quits to desktop. I click on 'install', the disk whirrs, then...nothing. The CD is not excessively or seriously marked, nor does it repeatedly spin or stick in the drive. Ive tried running the setup from the same cd, with similarily puzzingly results. I've tried copying the cd contents to the hard disk, but no joy either. I duplicated the cd using clonecd but no joy either. However, its definitely not the cd. I easily installed it on my sisters computer (XP SP1) and it worked perfectly! Hers is better, granted, but it worked fine on mine before!

I have tested some other similar cd based games/apps, they install without any issues. Anybody any ideas whats going on? Or what I could try next? I wonder, could it be SP2? My only doubt is that surely XP SP2, if incompatible with the game, would impede the program running ONCE INSTALLED, not prevent installation altogether, without explaination?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I've re-read your post three times and not once did you mention the name of the game.

Yes, SP2 breaks programs.
Yes, it breaks games.
Yes, it breaks installers for programs.

some weird sin

some weird sin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry mate, was trying to keep it general enough to observe the 'XP' focus of this particular forum group. The game in question is Medieval Total War. Your points are well taken; however, I've researched the reported effects of SP2 on this title and haven't come across anything like this. But you may be right, it may affect each program differently from PC to PC.

That said, short of uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling windows, is anything to be done? Activision have released a patch but it can only be used after installation, which renders the problem depressingly circular.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what are you running on your computer at start up? AV? Turn that off

some weird sin

some weird sin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I always turn AV off during installations- ditto any background programs. The internet status seems to have little bearing on the outcome either, connected or not.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that program is on the list of games that SP2 breaks...I cannot find out HOW it breaks it, but there you have it