Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives not there

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hello Everyone. I just upgraded my mobo and I am having GREAT probs. I get a message that there is no 80 pin connector there. If I hit F1 it boots to my hard drive but does not show my two CD drives. Also, in device manager I have yellow exclamation marks beside both of the Primary IDE Controller slots and both of the Secondary IDE Controller slots. I am using WIN 98se. I can not get to the CD to install the drivers and I just don't know what to do. Will I lose everything if I boot from floppy and then reinstall 98 manually using Setup.exe rom the CD? PLEASE HELP me, again. Sorry to keep bugging you all, but I do learn a lot from this site. Thanks a lot.
poppyal1

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi again, poppyal...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks. I will do that. Please give me some time to make that happen.

poppyal1.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have no CLASS. I do have DEVICE CLASSES, but that string you mentioned is not there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me boot the 98 machine...stand by. :whistling:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I clicked on SERVICES and found CLASS and the string you wanted. It says CLASS "CDROM" and LINK "CDROM". There are no filters listed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you beat me to it. I forgot how slow that old 98 machine is. :whistling:

If you have a startup disk and the 98 install disk, we can do an in place upgrade...which is what I think the machine needs. Too big a hardware change. The startup disk will install generic cd-rom drivers and allow you to install the MoBo drivers.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I tried that, and it would not happen by itself. I used a floppy to boot to the CD and it would not reinstall. I can manually type setup, but it does not show as an upgrade and asks me do I want to install to the C:\Windows directory. I'm afraid I'll lose all my data.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your data will be fine, Win98 overlays very nicely. You want it to install to the same directory using all the defaults. As soon as the install finishes, install your MoBo drivers, then the rest.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you boot to the floppy, choose the option to "Start with cd-rom support".

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
*Kat runs through the thread with a HUGE HUG for her Dad and grins

Call me tonight if ya aren't ready for bed, or tomorrow. I'll be home all day. :blink: :whistling:

sorry, Wannabe. Couldn't resist the quick thread jack. :help:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I've done that and it tells me that there is maybe some compression and it can not continue. But, I can type in setup at the dos prompt and it will go from there - that is where I'm afraid i"ll lose everything. (There is no comprssed anything on the drive).

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
'Scuse my typing - I'm OLD!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do it this way:

Boot to the floppy (Cd-rom support option)

At the A:\prompt, type e: and press "Enter"

At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter"

Install should run

This is what we want... :whistling:

Let me know if there are problems or questions...I'll be right here.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
When you overlay 98, doesn't it usually give you the option of putting it in "Windows 2" rather than "C:\Windows" or something like that? This system belongs to my sister-in-law and I'm dead meat if I lose any of her goodies. I updated a system to XP one time by starting it from the boot and it erased the old OS.