Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Drives not there

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
When you overlay 98, doesn't it usually give you the option of putting it in "Windows 2" rather than "C:\Windows" or something like that? This system belongs to my sister-in-law and I'm dead meat if I lose any of her goodies. I updated a system to XP one time by starting it from the boot and it erased the old OS.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With 98 you have to use fdisk to do a partition/format work...this will bypass that operation thereby preserving the goodies. A parallel install will leave you with gobs of copy/paste/delete to do and drivers to find and install.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
O.K. I'm gonna do it. I'll post again when it gets done. Thanks.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Setup asked me about saving existing files and I said yes. Can I delete them when this is complete?

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
By the way, this case I'm using has three lights on the front. Power, hard drive and one that looks like a thunder bolt or something. Any idea what that is for? There are wires coming from it, but I have no idea where to put them.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...you can delete them later. It's just system files so they could have been overwritten, too.

Some older machines had a "Turbo" setting and unless the motherboard you have supports this old technology, there may not be a place for the leads. They would connect to the front panel bus on the MoBo which is where the PWR and HDD lights connect to the MoBo.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
That's probably it. This case is rather aged. Of course the mobo is new, so I don't recon it has any turbo on/in it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I never found much value in the turbo setting anyway.

Everything installing smoothly? The only drivers you should have to install after this is the motherboard...the others should be there. I guess we'll burn that bridge when we get there.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
HEY, HEY!!! Everything is GOOD! I am now installint the mobo drivers. Then I'll go to XP PRO - I hope. Thank You again for your help. If I run into anymore probs, I'll get back to you. Thanx, wannabe1.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're quite welcome! :whistling:

I'll be around here somewhere...just give me a shout.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: Great work, Wannabe!! :blink:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
OOPS! I still get a message at boot that says "IDE Channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed", but it goes on to windows. Is that a problem? How do I get rid of it? Everything else is real good.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Pick up a new IDE cable for the HDD. The new motherboard doesn't care for the old cable. Very inexpensive.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
A new one came with the mobo. I'll use it and let you know. Thanx.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There ya go... :whistling:

:blink: You ought to win something...this is post 8000 for me :help:

Edited by wannabe1, 21 November 2006 - 01:50 AM.