Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Money EULA interpretation

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I just purchased Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe. I was reading over the EULA trying to figure out if I could install it on more than one computer. I came across this:

<<2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Licensed Device.
The licensed device is the device on which you use the software. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device.

b. Portable Device.
You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.>>

I would assume "A" would be the computer I usually access Microsoft Money from, which would be my desktop. "B" could be a laptop. So far, so good. I can install this on both my deskop and my laptop. But then I came across the following, which I have no idea what it means. If someone could let me know if they have any idea, I'd appreciate it.

<< c. Network Device.
You may also install one copy on a network device. You may only use that copy as described in the Remote Access section below.

3. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS.

a. Remote Access.
You may access and use the software remotely from another device as described below.

* Primary user. The single primary user of the device hosting the remote desktop session may access and use the software remotely from any other device. No other person may use the software under the same license at the same time except to provide support services.

* Non-primary users. Any user may access and use the software remotely from a separately licensed device.

* Remote assistance. You may allow other devices to access the software to provide you with support services. You do not need additional licenses for this access. >>

Thanks for any help,
mike.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Where it says Portable Device, it is refering to PDAs and the like. That way, you can enter your transactions as you make them throughout the day, and then upload that to the software installed on your computer.

Network Device refers to NAS devices, file servers, and the like, so that you can store the MS Money data (but not software) on another physical machine, for data security.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hey Kurenai,

Thanks for the reply.

Not that I know what I'm talking about (otherwise, I wouldn't have asked the question), but it just doesn't sound right that "C" would refer to storing the data file and not installing the software. I'm allowed to do what I want with any Word file I create or Excel file I create. Why would they tell me I can't do whatever I want with my Money file? Plus, in the "2-C" and "3" section, they do specifially say "install" and "software," so I have to believe that those sections refer to the installation of the software rather than the copying of the data file.

That being said, I still don't understand WHAT they're trying to say about the installation/use of the software in those sections.

Also, I have an addiitonal question about your response to the "portable device" section. When you say "b. Portable Device" refers to PDAs and the like, do you mean they refer to ONLY them? Are you saying laptops would not fall under that category? I was doing a search online and came across this page: http://money.mvps.or...rticle/386.aspx . I don't believe it's an official Microsoft website, but it does seem to be affiliated with them in some way. This website refers in section "2-C" as "portable computers." The EULA in my actual software says "portable devices." I'm not even sure if those 2 phrases make any difference, but I'm so confused.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wow, somebody who actually read the EULA :whistling:

Most Microsoft products are limited to use on one computer only with you being allowed to also install it on a portable device (PDA, laptop, etc) providing you are the primary user of it.

Part C is referring that you can put a copy of the software on a network and this would then allow anybody on that network to load the software from the network as if it were installed on the computer they are using it from.

Alternatively, part 3 is saying that only you can use the software unless you're talking to technical support, in which case both they and you can use it together, but nobody else can at the same time.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hey Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but I just couldn't make heads or tails over what they meant in the EULA. I appreciate your taking the time.

mike.