Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to Load Specific Websites

• Please log in to reply

cindylou32

cindylou32

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
For about 2 weeks now, I've been unable to get into just 1 website, that I could always access before. Each time I try to get in there, it says the page cannot be displayed etc. etc. I've tried everything that I know of, turned off McAfee firewall, typed the address instead of using it in my favorites, restored computer, checked all internet settings, tried a different browser, but still nothing. Tried it on my friends' computer and it is fine, so obviously the problem is my computer. I recently upgraded to IE 7, but had to go back to IE 6, as there were too many errors with the upgrade. I am running Windows XP, McAfee, and IE 6. Any suggestions? I am stumped as to what to do next.

Advertisements

icyhott

icyhott

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm assuming you mean that you can open most websites except for one specific website. If so I had a similar problem. After uninstalling my zone alarm firewall I still had the same problem but I soon found out that I had an NVidia firewall (which was installed with my network card) that was causing the problem. As soon as I disabled it my problem was solved. So check to see if you have any other firewalls running in the background and disable or uninstall them. You also might want to try install the Firefox 2 browser and see if that helps.

Edited by icyhott, 23 November 2006 - 08:50 AM.

cindylou32

cindylou32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't see any other firewalls running in the background. Yes, it's just the one website I can't get in. Everything else is fine. I guess I'll try the Firefox browser and see what happens. Thanks.

scf2510

scf2510

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I had that problem, If you are running a program like peer guardian you have to set it up to allow http for some sites to open. Like espn.com for example. With http blocked it will not open the site and it will just give a no internet connection error, unblock http and everything will open fine. Hope this helps

cindylou32

cindylou32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do not have any other programs running, only McAfee, and I've checked that and it's OK. Maybe there's something in Internet Explorer properties that needs to be checked or unchecked?