Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP AND 95?

• Please log in to reply

Red_Machine

Red_Machine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi gang,

I was wondering if it was possible to have Windows XP and Windows 95/DOS on the same computer, 'cause I've got loads of games that I cannot play on XP. If so, how would I go about doing it? My HD is already partitioned (3 frigging times! bloody Medion...) and I have an old Win 95 setup disc available.

Cheers in advance,
Chris

Edited by Red_Machine, 21 November 2006 - 05:55 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click an icon for a game, click properties, compatibility, will they run in compatibility mode for 95

Red_Machine

Red_Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've already tried that, it doesn't work.

Thanks anyway, though...

Edited by Red_Machine, 21 November 2006 - 06:01 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you looked through this

http://support.micro...b;en-us;q306559

Red_Machine

Red_Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Cheers for that.

I've also heard that you can use boot disks that allow you to boot up with another operating system while still keeping you old files; how does this work?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either using some versions of Linux or using a Live CD which contains an OS configured to run directly off the CD, ie, it need not be installed on the system. Just pop the CD into the systemís drive, boot from it and the OS will be up and running, without tampering with the OS loaded on your systemís hard drive

Red_Machine

Red_Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Cool! Where can I get one of these and could I run games with it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Making them for Linux is usual, ones for XP are emerging but haven't had a chance to speak with anyone who has used them

http://www.livecdlis...showonly=gaming

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Linux has its own set of games, some of them are quite like old school DOS games so you might find something you really like alot of linux games are rubbish little puzzle games some people like those though. Alot of old DOS games have been ported to use flash or java, things like quake and doom now have versions that run on anything from you PC to your mobile phone to an ipod.

Look around for the games you want to play you might find some updated versions.