Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra folders? and start up control

• Please log in to reply

Tiggatattoo

Tiggatattoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Two questions.

I went looking for the folder where all the start up programs are, and I can't find it with windows xp.
I recently switched from 2000 to xp. So.... I have these extra programs that start up with the computer, and I don't want them too. Where do I go to take them out of the start up and out of the application monitor on the task bar.

The second question is when I went looking. I noticed a ton of folders in the windows directory that look like this. C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB889673$ there is a ton of them. How do I get rid of them?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you looking for start, all programmes, start up

Tiggatattoo

Tiggatattoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have that, and I can open it, but nothing shows up in the open window.
ex. aol, adobe stuff, etc.
2nd on the right side near the clock on the task bar there is a bunch of extra icons. that I know are not needed, example - yahoo, java control, msn messenger, quicktime.
These things start up automatically when starting computer. I don't want them to. They waste memory. They also show up in the task bar. Where do I find the folders for the notifications portion of the task bar.
I found it in the task bar properties, but I can't change the properties for start up etc.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, remove the ticks for anything you do not want to run at start, click apply

Basically, any programme you remove the tick for will not start unless you open it manually, so you could click disable all, then importantly, replace the ticks for the firewall, anti virus and any installed anti spyware programmes, click apply and reboot

When windows loads the desktop, tick do not start the configuration utilty when windows loads

Check the firewall, anti virus and antispyware programmes are running

If programmes are running at start up they should appear in start up, and you should see what is in there if you hold the mouse over start up to get a new window on the right

See how the taskbar looks now

Tiggatattoo

Tiggatattoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That was exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you soooo much.

Do you know anything about the second portion of the my first post?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They are hotfix uninstallers, so:

You can clear them but you cannot reverse it, so you could be stuck if you wanted to remove a specific hotfix

You would only see the drive space gain when system restore had replaced any restore points containing them

You will get new ones whenever you install critical Microsoft Updates

They probably total less then 200MB so unless you need the space, you could consider leaving them