Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD ROM won't read, but does read! What the .... ?

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Okay, I recently had to replace my motherboard and power supply. I have a DVD/CD RW Drive and a DVD ROM Drive on board. The DVD/CD RW Drive works fine .... The DVD ROM Drive is freaking me out. When I first got my machine, I installed my games on my DVD ROM drive so of course, with it acting up, I can't play my games. The weird part is ..... when I put a game disk in the Drive and try to play I get the message that there is no CD in the drive, Yet when I "Explore" I can see everything that is on the Disk. The other thing is that it doesn't show up on the same "Drive" as it did before. Instead of showing up as the "F Drive" it is showing up as my "J Drive"

I am the one who took out my old motherboard and power supply and replaced them. So that means I'm the one who hooked up all my old stuff. Is this a problem that I can fix? Can anyone help me out here?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So your games require the CD to be in the drive? That makes sense if the programs are looking for everything in drive F:. Is there something else now on drive F:? If not, change the drive letter for that drive back to F:. Look at Microsoft article 307844 How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP for instructions.