Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer purchase [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dakota9

dakota9

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I need to find the most powerful computer package available to lay person. The computer must include Windows XP Professional or better, latest version of Microsoft Office, latest version of Electronic Workbench, latest version of Mathcad, and internet access by moden, ADSL, or cable. I need a list of components and prices. <_<

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
if your looking for a new system I would say the best way is to have a custom system built then buy the programs your looking for and install them. A system with An amd athlon 2800+ w/512 ddr ram and win xp pro install your looking around $1250.00 you would have to get the other programs you where looking for and install them.
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I need to find the most powerful computer package available to lay person.

It really depends what you're going to use it for, and the capability of the software you're running.

As far as pure number crunching a quad Opteron is probably the highest end PC you'll find. Here's a review comparing to dual Xeon's and others. These systems are reserved for high-end servers and workstations. The HP ProLiant DL585 with four 2.2GHz chips and 4GB of memory will set you back about $20,000!

As you can see the bleeding edge costs money. The highest end desktop chip is AMD's FX53, closely followed by Intel's P4EE (extreme edition). The FX53 is a little cheaper, (about $750), but requires more expensive ECC RAM. Either of these systems wil set you back about $3,000-$3,500.

Of course, you could always build your own supercomputer using a beowulf cluster and Linux. <_<
http://www.faqs.org/...wulf-HOWTO.html

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.