Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

STOP ERROR "Unmountable Boot Drive"

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
My girlfriends hard drive keeps saying "Unmountable Bootdrive"

Now i have taken out the drive and reconnected it. I have also run the fixboot command and also run chkdsk/ r

It works for a few days and then fails again.

If i bought her a new hard drive, would it be worth my while copying an image of her current drive onto the new one?

Or is this a waste of time as maybe its her system files that are corrupt and thats why she gets the error message?

Neither she or i have a XP CD to run a repair

Edited by doire, 21 November 2006 - 08:41 AM.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well imaging the existing drive to restore on to the new one seems a good idea to me - you've nothing to lose. if the image method still gives you trouble then you'll need to buy a copy of xp.