Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply

hcxc1runner

hcxc1runner

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm looking at buying a new LCD monitor for my pc and also some gaming in the future (Xbox 360). Which one would you choose? Right now I'm considering the:

Gateway 22"

Gateway 20.1"

Dell 2007 Ultrasharp WFP

Dell 2007 Wide Screen

Benq FP222W 22"

Benq FP202W 20.1"

Can you guys think of anyother in the $300-$400 range?

Thanks

Edited by hcxc1runner, 21 November 2006 - 09:40 AM.

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello,

That is a hard one. I came to this question just recently after buying a Xbox 360. I am not sure why you are buying a PC monitor though? A 20 inch does not do the Xbox justice. I would go for something like a LCD flat screen TV before I would go with a PC monitor. Your quality is going to be much higher while your cost will be expensive nothing beats watching good gaming on a decent sized tv.

However if you must buy a PC I would check: Consumer Reports. I am not here to telling you to spend hundreds of dollars to get a subscription but maybe go buy their yearly book that comes out and see which one has good ratings.

hope this helps.

hcxc1runner

hcxc1runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
pyron, thanks for replying

Okay, the XBOX 360 was more of a secondary concern, the LCD's primary purpose is pc work and gaming in a dorm room. So a big LCD is not an option. With that in mind, what is your choice? Thanks

Hcxc1runner

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a note, all the URL's except the top two are pointing to the same address.
Here is the order in which I'd rate this monitors.
First place: Gateway 22"
Second place: Benq FP222W 22"
Third place:Gateway 20.1"
Forth place: BenQ FP202W Black 20.1
Last place : The dells, 16ms responce time is a way to slow for gaming and you will experience ghosting in fast moving scenes.

This is my personal views of these monitors, keep in mind i wasn't sure what you were refuring to for the Dell 2007 Wide Screen model.
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just want to add to my last post, just found this monitor and its selling at a really good price, its slightly better (has a 1000:1 contrast ratio) then the rest for less. Its worthy of a look, monitor
James

Edit: only thing about this monitor is that i think you have to have S-video to hook up your x-box 360 to it (this monitor doesn't have one), but i might be mistaken. Can someone confirm this?

Edited by james_8970, 21 November 2006 - 10:43 PM.

hcxc1runner

hcxc1runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
You can actually hook up a 360 via VGA adapter seen here

Bestbuy is selling a Westinghouse 22" LCD for $200.00 on Black Friday. I'm probably going to go buy that one.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Hcxc1runner

hcxc1runner

hcxc1runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
:whistling:
Dang it! I got to Bestbuy @ 6 and they were sold out of all monitors. I guess I should expect that when there are 30 people in line at 9 pm last night. Oh well. I think i'm just going to wait for a while, if I buy a new monitor, I'll have to upgrade my graphics card, and I'm looking at buying a new laptop in 6 months anyways. So it would just be a waste of money (graphics card). Thanks for your time

Hcxc1runner

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
NP sorry to hear that.
James

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Lol... i laugh... well... sort of.... im just here... to... um... BRAG... yea... i got that 22in monitor... its pretty nice... i almost got mobed... its pretty nice for games like HALO and BF2142

Srry.... yea.... well anyways... its really big and heavy.. .so i had to get a new desk.....

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 06 December 2006 - 06:31 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
if you arn't posting helpful advice. Don't bother posting.
James