Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

question about ram

• Please log in to reply

jimfred

jimfred

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i have pc that has 512 mbs of non ecc ram and i was given 2 1gig sticks of ram with ecc they all are 240 pin nanya modules i was wondering if i could take out the non ecc modules and install the with ecc modules or is this a complete no go any response would be greatly appreciated . thanks . jim

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
You can put the 2 1 gig sticks in, but check to make sure your motherboard is capable of running the ram sticks. ECC checks memory for Errors and fixes it, whereas Non-ECC obviously doesn't. Therefore ECC tends to be the best choice for the end user.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Although bear in mind ECC may be slightly slower in terms of access speed than Non-ECC, but 2gb would obviously beat 512mb any day