Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stop error in windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I'm getting a stop error in windows xp home. the error number is c0000135 and it says it can't find or load advapi32.dll. I've looked both the error message and the file on the internet and they both claim this is a error associated with windows NT4.0. Is this a hold over from 4.0 or is something else weird going on here?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try running SFC /scannow [Start, Run, sfc /scannow]. Be sure to have your original OS CD in the drive. It will search for missing/corrupt system files and replace them.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Try running SFC /scannow [Start, Run, sfc /scannow]. Be sure to have your original OS CD in the drive. It will search for missing/corrupt system files and replace them.

thanks for the idea but it won't boot, it gets a stop error... yes in safe mode as well. yes I tried last known good also.... and sfc apparently will not run from the recovery console.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You could try to Repair installation from the Windows CD. You won't lose any data or files, but you'll have to reinstall other software, I believe.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

You could try to Repair installation from the Windows CD. You won't lose any data or files, but you'll have to reinstall other software, I believe.

thanks I was hoping to avoid that but yeah... I already backed up the improtant files just in case.... I'm running chkdsk /r from recovery now as it may have disk issues as well...