Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots on startup

• Please log in to reply

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
System: HP 512W Pavilion

When i turn on the PC it begins to boot as usual. Displays HP splash screen, Goes to windows XP loading screen, green status bar rolls along as usual them the PC reboot and the cycle repeats. I do know the processor fan is on the way out due to noise but it does still function.

I do not have a system to swap parts with and i would like to avoid a reinstall of windows due to the contents of the drive being valuable to me. HELP!

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello and welcome the forums,

If your processor fan is not running then please do not turn on your computer! This will damage the motherboard as well as overheat most of the major pieces of equipment that run your computer. Sadly it sounds like either one or two are causing your problem. Either your motherboard's fan is OUT or your power supply is dying.

I would turn the machine on briefly to see if the power supply and fan on the your motherboard is blowing. If it is NOT then you need to replace these ASAP before using your computer, otherwise you run the risk of losing your motherboard. (This has happen to me in the past)

Please let us know which of these two components are out? Motherboard fan or power supply.

Edited by pyron81, 21 November 2006 - 03:25 PM.

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Both fans are functioning, i just know from experience that the sound the processor fan is making means it on the way out. The only sound the PC makes, aside from the fans, are the standard sounds of hard drives spinning up and the cd roms. When the PC reboots there is the distinct sound of the hdd "restarting" with a very quiet thud sorta sound. ......

Hello and welcome the forums,

If your processor fan is not running then please do not turn on your computer! This will damage the motherboard as well as overheat most of the major pieces of equipment that run your computer. Sadly it sounds like either one or two are causing your problem. Either your motherboard's fan is OUT or your power supply is dying.

I would turn the machine on briefly to see if the power supply and fan on the your motherboard is blowing. If it is NOT then you need to replace these ASAP before using your computer, otherwise you run the risk of losing your motherboard. (This has happen to me in the past)

Please let us know which of these two components are out? Motherboard fan or power supply.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello again,

Hmmm that worries me. Is there any way you can boot into safe mode? Is it possible that your hard drive could be going out? How long have you owned the computer? Did you replace any hardware recently?

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i am unable to boot to any mode what so ever. No hardware has been changed. I was afraid it was the drive itself but figured i would see if anyone had other ideas as i have no other system to test it in.

Hello again,

Hmmm that worries me. Is there any way you can boot into safe mode? Is it possible that your hard drive could be going out? How long have you owned the computer? Did you replace any hardware recently?

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello,

After reviewing what windows is doing I would honestly say that if you can not boot and it keeps restarting randomly like that to take to the nearest PC repair shop. Normally I would say you could fix it yourself but the fact is they are going to need to run test to determine what is causing windows to randomly start. If your hardware is not failing, it could just be an error with windows but I wouldn't want to risk any chances.

Have you tried repairing windows or reinstalling windows to see if it fixes the problem? Did this happen suddenly or has it been happening over time?