Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive removal

• Please log in to reply

Doctor Sonic

Doctor Sonic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

Recently my computer broke down, its basically dead, too many things are wrong with it to make it worth repairing. The hard drive is fine though and I've been told that when I get my new computer I'll be able to temporarily plug in the hard drive from the old computer externally and transfer my files from it to the hard drive of my new computer.
In the meantime theres one file I really need to get, so my brother has said I can use his laptop.

Can anyone advise me on how to safely remove the hard drive and plug it into the new computer (or in this case the laptop).

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easy to remove lots of info with pictures if you google it. Basically you open the case, unplug everything and unscrew it, if you can work a screwdriver thats all the qualifications you need.

Connecting to a laptop thats a bit harder, you would need to buy an external enclosure or borrow one. Laptops dont use the same connectors and when you see the drive its probably thicker than the laptop is so youll see why they arent the same in laptops and PCs.

Doctor Sonic

Doctor Sonic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Easy to remove lots of info with pictures if you google it. Basically you open the case, unplug everything and unscrew it, if you can work a screwdriver thats all the qualifications you need.

Connecting to a laptop thats a bit harder, you would need to buy an external enclosure or borrow one. Laptops dont use the same connectors and when you see the drive its probably thicker than the laptop is so youll see why they arent the same in laptops and PCs.

Thanks for the info.

Is it essential to have the external enclosure for attaching it to a laptop as I was told I could just plug it into a computer externally?