Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-RW vs. CD-R vs. 3 1/2 FLOPPY DISK

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I have a few questions dealilng with the use of CD-Rom for data storage.
1) I have a 23,000 word chronicle on my desktop and was thinking of saving the file to a CD-RW disc, because I read somewhere that a CD-RW can be used like a diskette which would allow the data to be rewritten over and over again.

2) I burned the chrronicle from my desktop onto a CD-RW, but when I selected the file and made an entry, but when I tried to save the file, I am told that the disck is a read only one. Am I looking at this the wrong way, in trying to think that a CD-RW can be used like a diskette.

3) The final part of the question is this: On CD-RW's or CD-R's there are speed indicators such as 1X-52X and 4x etc. What do these numbers mean and which is the best disc to be used for saving photos and music as compared to those used for data.

Waynf

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi waynf...

A cd-rw can be used like a diskette, but, like a floppy, it must be formatted to be used in this manner. AND if you "close the disk" after writing to it, it can no longer be written to. Most burning software will allow you to leave a cd-rw disk open for future use.

Cd-r disks are a one shot deal. You can record to them once and the disk is closed at the end of the recording session.

The 16x numbers represent the speed in megabits per second at which data can be transfered to the media...or the speed at which it can be written (data transfer rate or throughput). A good rule of thumb when recording to a cd-r or cd-rw is to select a speed at least one step below the disks listed rating. On a 16x disk, I would record at 12x. When burning ISO images, I set the speed as low as it will go...on my hardware that's 2x.

wannabe1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you can also use a memory stick

some are as big as 1 gig

so they are convenient can put on a key chain

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Please explain to me what you mean by "closing the disc" or "leaving the disc open" Does this have anything to do with "saving changes to this file"?

Pardon my ignorance in these matters.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
closing the disk simply means you finalized it cannot be used any more........leaving open simply means that you can erase a reuse disck over and over as many time you want to

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I guess I'm losing it here and not asking the question properly, maybe by example I can get it right. I format a CW-RW, I have a Microsoft Word file on my desktop. I send the file to the disc and burn it. I open the file but, when I try to make a change to it, on exiting I am asked whether to save changes to the file. iI click yes, and then am told that this is a read only file.

How do I exit without closing the file and running into this problem. Do I have to keep the file on my desktop until I am finished and then burn it, or is there some other option where I can have the file on a disk enablling me to make aditions, changes, and still be able to edit the file later.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What burning software do you use?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I'm using Nero Express 6 with In CD4, with possible updates

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I think that I understand the problem...this is how it works on my system...give it a think :whistling: I do not use RWs.

1. you do your work on the hard drive
2. you save to the CD/DVD...like putting stuff into a closet and either shutting the door, because you're done, or leaving it open to put more stuff in
3. the CD/DVD is your storage closet and thus will be a system that the computer understands as needing to be closed or left open for further input...it is burning to a closed space...like forming a scab on a body wound, the computer will "close" up the burning wound, or if you want to burn more, it will not, thus leaving it open
4. if you want to alter something
5. return the main file to your hard drive
6. make your alterations
7. reburn the same file with alterations to the same disk with the same name and extension
8. it will ask you if you want to over write the file already there
9. you say yes
10. and presto chango, you're done...
11. open the file from the CD/DVD to be sure all went well
12. if not, burn a new copy of the altered file to the same disk if you have room, and rename

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
CD-RW's are mistakenly viewed as floppies that you can drag and drop files back and forth from them. When you get a fresh disk you can burn files onto it then you can close it or leave it open.

If you leave it open or close it you can view the files any time you like.

If you close it you can do no more except for viewing the files.

However if you leave the disc open later on you can come back to it and delete everything on the disc and then reburn the changes back onto it. That is the only way to add to the data on the disc.

There are some programs that make a CD-RW work like a floppy disc, try google.

~Matt :whistling:

Edited by Matt T, 16 December 2007 - 08:59 PM.