Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Troubles

• Please log in to reply

kmgreensman

kmgreensman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have been trying to get bellsouth to help me through this with no luck. I have bellsouth dsl with a westell wirespeed modem ( i guess thats what that is) and am going through a netgear router. I have very slow internet speed when trying to pull up web pages and most of the time it has server not found error. They tested my speed and my line and there are no issues. Both of my laptops have this issue so it has to be somewhere else. I couldnt even sign on to the internet and the bellsouth people at least got me on the internet. Is there anything I can do to see what is causing this? Do you think my router or dsl modem is going out? Please help.

Thanks

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
At the time you posted this bellsouth was in the middle of a DNS issue (the DNS servers were down) this is now corrected. But as a bellsouth customer myself I hard coded my DNS to alternate public servers last month the first time their servers went down after they Upgraded to their new set up.

I use 4.2.2.1 as a primary and 4.2.2.2 as a secondary. these work well and seem to be faster at look up then the bellsouth servers.

kmgreensman

kmgreensman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks silver, How do you change over your servers? Is it something that a rookie could do?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
For a single PC running XP go to Start /Control Panel /Network Connections (classic view) and right click on the Local Area Connections. Select Properties. In the General Tab select "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" then click on Properties. In the General tab find "Obtain DNS automatically" and change it to the set DNS. Enter the dns addies for primary and secondary. click OK then click close and that is it.

You can set them in the Westell but how depends on the firmware version. You can access the firmware interface at 192.168.1.254 . Older versions have an Expert Mode on the left side of the interface. Enter Expert Mode and click on configure. Click on connection I think you can enter the DNS here, click save changes and restart connection. This also is the same firmware interface for the Netopia 2241n.

The newer Westell firmware you click on the Broadband DSL Link the click on connection to the right and enter the DNS there. Save Changes.

kmgreensman

kmgreensman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can i use the same ones you used or is that just for your area? If I do it on my computer would I still have to do it on the westell or would that be enough? AND thanks for sharing your knowledge

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
They're good nation wide as far as I know. I found them when I learned Bellsouth was decommissioning 50 DNS servers and going to three regionals. Call me silly for thinking that relying on three servers for that large a regions customer base and the close ties BS seems to have with MS it seemed a prudent thing to do.

The PC is enough if you're running only one PC. I hard code my router because I have a fair number of computers on the internet at any given time. :-)

Edited by silverbeard, 23 November 2006 - 01:42 AM.

kmgreensman

kmgreensman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks agian. I did it and it is indeed faster and not the errors.