Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restart issue with winxp pro

• Please log in to reply

techbyluck

techbyluck

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello,
i bought a computer from a company called pcinfinity.net. i have 1 year of support yet their tech support never answers the phone. that is besides the point. The computer has a strange issue. if you click restart, bios loads and you see all the specs and then all of a sudden black screen saying cannot find OS . if you unplug ther power and reconnect, it boots perfect. i am a tech by luck. my version of fixing things is reformating. this computer houses all the info for a dentists office so i can't lose all the data and reseeting up would be a pain. what are the possible causes of this issue? if i am in the wroing forum i aplogize. :whistling:

Edited by techbyluck, 21 November 2006 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I think that you need to list the things you CAN do when it works...then going by that list "we" can advise. If it just won't boot that is another issue that has to be addressed prior to the former.

Can you get into Safe Mode-Administrators? Insert your setup CD and do a sfc_/scannow from the cmd prompt.

I'd also start with downloading and preparing the MS XP "Startup disks" software from MS [you will need 6 floppies] this should get you to a point, I think, where you may have some control to do some stuff.

...then get back to us...

techbyluck

techbyluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
do you think this is a software issue or hardware? could it be a bad power supply. it seems that when it restarts the hard drive doesn't reset itself. if i kill th power, unplug it, operating system boots without issue.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi techbyluck...

Sounds more like a BIOS setting...

Enter the BIOS setup and check the boot priority. How is it configured...which is first and which is second in priority?

wannabe1

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
"do you think this is a software issue or hardware?"

As previously asked...list what you can do and what you can't do...and what issues are appearing...all of them that you can... ?

Without more input, it is difficult to advise...otherwise "we" are just fumbling in the dark... :whistling: :blink: