Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User account picture issue

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Does anyone else running Windows XP (home edition, SP2) run into this: when you click on your user picture from the start menu to change it, select a new picture (from the default ones) and click "change picture", the "user accounts" window appears but the picture does not change to the new one until you close and open the user accounts options again?

I know it's a minor thing to notice, but I wanted to make sure it was not a symptom of something bigger.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't think it's a symptom of any larger problems....MOST things you do with user accounts require something to be done for it to apply (like a restart or a log off/log on)...so this is probably a situation similar...i can't say that for SURE ecause i don't use this feature...but it doesn't sound lilke something to worry about

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I know most things require a restart of some sort, but I clearly remember that the user account picture would always update as soon as you clicked on "change picture."

In fact, this site says the same:
"The screen returns to the user account and you can see how your picture looks. If you don't like it, just click Change my picture again and try another one."

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Just checked and no worries, same thing happens on my computer. Just a minor glitch with Windows, close out and click the start menu and you will see the updated icon.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks mpfeif101. I'm assuming the glitch appeared after the last Windows update (maybe from the IE7 installation, which has icon issues of its own).

Anyway, thanks again for checking this out. :whistling: