Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking, usb and pcimcia

• Please log in to reply

cobling

cobling

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ok what i think happend is the power cord came out of the laptop and as i have no battery it turned off.

after restarting the computer (running windows xp) an error came up saying one of the usb slots drew too much power and it asked if i wanted to reset it so it would work again, which is what i did. the only external device i had connected to the computer at the time was the wireless network card in the pcimcia slot

so i went to connect to the wireless connection and noticed it wasn't there, opened my network connections and there were no connections shown.

then tried to plug a cable link to the router in and the network card lit up but i still had no connections, i also tried to plug a usb dongle into the computer and the light came on the dongle but i couldn't access it

i then opened the device menager and my network card device was gone but the usb device is still there.

since then i have gone to a system restore point and reinstalled windows but it hasn't changed anything

im stumped for ideas

Advertisements

cobling

cobling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
nope it didn't change anything. im still having the same issues..

cobling

cobling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i can't carry out all those steps because when i go to the networking wizard it says it can't detect any networking hardware therefore the next button isn't avaliable

the laptop is a hp (theres my first problem) zv500, pcmcia card is a belkin wireless g notebook network card model #f5d7010 and when i boot up the computer there are no beeps at all..

thanks very much :-)

cobling

cobling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thats ok, im greatful for the help

yeah i did the file check.. it didn't come up with any errors or anything although i can now see the little icon for the wireless card but can't access it

na im never buying a hp again. i have had the computer for about 1.5yrs and had a hardrive die, battery die and 2 power supplys die... nothing but trouble

thanks again :whistling: