Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata master IDE slave

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hello, I have recently acquired a WD800JD sata drive and after finding the right BIOS settings to get the drive recognized by the system I decided to copy the OS to the drive as a backup. I first tried the drive with the intension of using it for extra storage and there was no problem although it was not them combined with another IDE storage drive. I have now got the OS on the drive and it works on it's own but when I connect the power to the IDE where all my files are kept the IDE drive is not recognized and of course the short cuts to that drive don't work. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? (At the moment I have changed back to the OS on the original IDE drive so timewise the reply will depend on when I can test suggestions). Thanks.
Ste :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
SATA drives don't use the master/slave concept, so don't configure your other hard disk based on that. Configure it according to whether any other IDE devices are sharing the same data ribbon cable.

Edited by pip22, 22 November 2006 - 04:39 AM.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hello, thanks for the reply. If you mean connect the first connection on the IDE cable to the second drive that is how I tried it. I used no jumpers on this second drive and it is only these two drives that I am connecting. I was wondering if it may be an incorrect BIOS setting?