Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop going a bit crazy

• Please log in to reply

sarahx

sarahx

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't really understand whats going on, but ocassionally when I try and type particular characters on my laptop keyboard (I think it's about 5 keys on the middle row), it just types 'u' instead of the actual character. When I restart my computer, it works again, but this will happen about once every 1 or 2 weeks. So not a major problem, just a bit strange. A minute ago, the cursor when typing started going a bit weird too- straight after I typed a letter, it would go back to the start of that letter- so if I was typing 'the' it would come out 'eht'

I'm using Mozilla and it just closed itself down- and now the cursor is back to normal. My laptop has been infected with the about.Brontok.a worm, but have installed the full version of AVG anti-virus, which has quarantined the virus and I'm no longer having problems with that. I'm using a Tiny laptop, Win XP, had the laptop 18months but have had lots of problems in the last few months- had a hard drive failure when I accidently uninstalled SP2, this virus, and now strange typing things- I've been told my hard drive may be on the way out, but I want to try and salvage it and keep it going as long as possible! Thanks for any help :whistling:

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
If you are old like me, you often find letters incorrectly placed...then again, arthritus does not help :)

I would not think that 18 months would wear out a hard drive, but that depends upon its usage over that time period. Mine is four years old and still plodding along, and a friend's is almost six years old...but failing...bummer :help: Mind you, we don't use them for much more then paper weights :blink:

What do you do with it? Can it be reformatted without losing any thing important? Save needed stuff to disk?

Only as a last resort, would I suggest F-disking the drive, but that would surely kill any further vestiges of the virus.

So, you feel that the virus is contained. Did you delete it from quarantine? Cleaned out the virual foot prints from the registry ?

What version of PC-cillin are you using? Since you say that you are also using AVG, I am wondering why? Just curious :whistling: