Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory or MB?

• Please log in to reply

lezlies

lezlies

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My newly built computer was being really sluggish playing Caesar IV. I was thinking of upgrading from 512 to a gig when I noticed that the 512 was showing up as 256 during the boot.

The MB is an ECS P4M800-M7. I have a 512 stick of PC3200(400) in it from Fry's. Corsair Value, I think, is the brand.

When this happens is it usually the memory, the motherboard, or none of the above?

Thanks!

Advertisements

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
It shouldn't be a memory problem, but I would upgrade to a gig anyways. 512 mb has become the mininum :whistling:

good luck

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
What does it say exactly during boot-up? When i start my pc I get the 256 message too, but thats spec of my graphics card. Could that be what it is?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Yes, more than likely the 256 is referring to your graphic card. If you go to My Computer>View System Information, it will show you how much RAM you have installed.

nabeans

nabeans

• Pip
  • 6 posts
[b]Yes, I have a similar problem. I bought a viao sometime ago that was 512mb only to boot today afterchanging to new battery and found my system config to be 256mb. I checked system info all the ways and the result was still the same, 256mb physical memory.What do I do? I don't think its the battery thats the cause, since there is no link btw the two.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
When you click on properties of "My Computer", It only says you have 256mb RAM, or it says 256 during startup? To see the amount of ram...look at the properties tab of "My Computer"

nabeans

nabeans

• Pip
  • 6 posts
[b]I checked thru System Information and it read 256mb. I just yesterday checked the compartment where the memory chips are in the laptop and I saw written on it 256mb. That now suggests to me that the system specs were manipulated to read 512mb instead of the true 256mb. Can you confirm if thats possible? What could have happened to return it to the truthful figure? Nevertheless, I will check the properties section of My Computer as you suggested.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This motherboad has onboard graphics. Where do you plug your monitor in on the back of the computer - next to the USB ports or halfway down the back of the case?

There's no mention in the manual just how far you can up the onboard graphics to, but it may be possible to set it to 256Mb, which would explain where the missing memory has gone.

nabeans

nabeans

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I'm pleased to announce that I've got the problem of the reducing memory solved, kind of. I found that one of the two 256mb memory chips seems to lose contact. So when I readjusted it, it read 512mb. Though this morning I checked again and its back to 256mb. I will soon return to the back to shift the chips. If symptoms persist then I guess I will have to see a techie. Or could it be a chip acting up preparatory to zonking?