Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Showing as 1500+ 1350mhz

• Please log in to reply

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Thoroughbred. I've replaced my defective motherboard today and booted up the machine and noticed it was running terribly slow. I restarted into the BIOS to find my processor is being shown as the AMD Athlon XP 1500+...this is clearly wrong. The motherboard is a Albatron KM400T-8X with BIOS revision R1.05.
The processor is then clocking at 1350mhz, (13.5 x 100) according to Everest HE, but seems perfectly stable at the moment, no unorinary high or low temperatures. Voltages all seem fine.
So why is it only giving me half the clock power..and showing as a 1500+ ?!!

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go into the BIOS and find an option for the FSB setting. Set it to 166. You should then end up with Everest reporting 13.5 x 166 = 2,241. Near enough reported clock speed of 2500Mhz.

What's happened is your board has set itself to a speed that is safe, works but ultimately wrong. Not all boards set this automatically.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi, I've went into the BIOS and looked for an FSB setting. I could only find a 'CPU Clock' setting which at the moment is set to 100, and when I continually press + it only goes to 132, so I doubt this is the FSB setting. Is there any other name the FSB setting would be under?
Thanks for your help!

I read the manual, I had to change the jumper settings to enable the 166mhz fsb, although the processor is still running as a 7500+ 2233mhz (13.5 x 165). It showed up as 2800+ with my old motherboard when the FSB was set to 166. The DRAM Frequency was also at 200 before I changed the fsb, it's now effectively running at 331mhz.

The processor is now running at 46C at around 9% CPU load. I'm not sure if this is high or not for this processor as most of my work has been around Intel systems, this is only my second AMD venture. When the system was running as 1500+ the processor was running at around 38C. I presume the increase in clock speed accounts for the temperature rise.

Thanks again

Edited by burnoutnotfadeaway, 23 November 2006 - 05:21 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Some Socket A boards were really weird, throwing up FSB's of 134, 165, etc, and this is enough to cause some boards to claim that the system runs slightly slower or faster than it would have done on other boards.

In the grand scale of things, 2233Mhz is near enough the mark for that processor, and my old Athlon XP 2400 often ran at 49 degrees so your 46 for a faster model isn't to worry about.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Some Socket A boards were really weird, throwing up FSB's of 134, 165, etc, and this is enough to cause some boards to claim that the system runs slightly slower or faster than it would have done on other boards.

In the grand scale of things, 2233Mhz is near enough the mark for that processor, and my old Athlon XP 2400 often ran at 49 degrees so your 46 for a faster model isn't to worry about.