Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad power supply?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a good price you found.

BUT...

Motherboard bundle

Case

We'll want to check to make sure your RAM will work with this or look at Corsair.

Let's see...without the Corsair RAM, that's $207.98. Add the shipping and it might bite into the profit margin, but that's a nice setup for you...and she gets a pretty, new case. :whistling:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
for the record, Dad..you are FAR smarter with computers than the average computer user. :blink: The way this site runs, you are more than welcome to post help and advice anywhere on the site you feel comfortable, and know an answer for someone....EXCEPT in the malware removal forum. You'd have to go through our free training program to do that part. But anywhere else...go for it if you want! :help:

:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

for the record, Dad..you are FAR smarter with computers than the average computer user.

I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Roll up your sleeves and dive in! :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
poppyal, if you're waiting for a personal invitation, you've got three. :whistling: Please stop by and contribute anytime. :blink:

P.S. My money was on a bad motherboard.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
O.K. If all the ram is interchangable, I will go with the MSI and she will have the ASUS. I'm sure that she will get along fine with that. She doesn't do enough of anything to tax a mobo anyway - and she has two 256 sticks of ram (brand unknown). I'm sure that will be plenty - It was for me for quite a while. She will be happy.

How can I learn more about overclocking, hyper-threading and all that stuff? Is there something online that could help me out with that? Would it be possable to pick up some pointers just by monitoring the posts on this site? Is that allowed? If I get into GeeksToGo as deeply as I'd like to, I would have to set up a 'puter for my Grandson who lives with me and figure out how to share the DSL connection. No prob with the 'puter - I have several - but I'm not sure about how to share the DSL.

Anyhow, I'll check for posts a little later, probably in the A.M. Thanks a lot.

poppyal.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Would it be possable to pick up some pointers just by monitoring the posts on this site? Is that allowed?

That is actually encouraged here. The best way for us all to learn, is from watching each others' work. Ask questions when you don't understand. Some of our best Experts do, even. As you know, working with pc's is a constant learning experience.

If you see a thread someone posts a question say in the Hardware forum, and you know the answer..you can jump in and help them. If you aren't sure, but would like to know, simply subscribe to the topic to watch it. To subscribe to a thread, click on the arrow next to the word Options at the upper right hand corner of a topic. Click on "Subscribe to this thread". At the next screen, choose "no email notification". (this is how *I* do it).
Then each time you want to check your topics, go to your "My Controls" and on the left, click on "View Topics" under where it says Subscriptions. That takes you to a list of all your subscribed topics. :help:

If I get into GeeksToGo as deeply as I'd like to, I would have to set up a 'puter for my Grandson who lives with me

Tell Adam that Aunt Kathie said he doesn't need to play online :blink: :whistling:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
So much for the mobo swap. The MSI board only has two slots and I have four 256 ram chips. I really don't want to go back to 512 of ram, and can't afford to buy new, larger chips.

Oh well, so much for that idea. It sounded good to me. Would I still be better off using the MSI board with 512 ram instead of the ASUS board with 1024 ram?

Thanks for your input. I'll back off of this prob now.

poppyal.