Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AirLink Wireless PCI card buring out my PCI slots ?!?!

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I have a AirLink PCI Slot Wireless card. It seems that about after a month my computer goes bonkers and freees. I scanned my hard drive for problems, nothing. I scanned my CPU for problems, nothing. I scanned my memory for problems, nothing.

So out of curiosity i decided to take out the Wireless card. BOOM ! Computer worked great no freezes or anything ! So i put the card in slot #2 thinking that maybe my PCI slot went bad. 2-3 months later same problem. This probelm has gone on 2 more times.

So i thought maybe i need to update the BIOS, maybe there is a hardware conflict. I updated BIOS. I just got the problem again and am on the last PCI Slot !

I'm just curious but is it possible that this card is buring out all my PCI slots ? This is rediculous ! I have troubleshooted every other hardware part i can and still the problem persists. Sometimes that computer wont even start it will freeze in BIOS when BIOS is checking IDE drives. Thats why it made me think it was a HD issue but i scanned it and everything came up clean !

Please help me with my problem if you can !

Thanx for your time !
Mr.Chow

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I doubt the card has damaged any of the PCI slots. More likely the card is just not compatible with your particular system for some obscure reason. I could say it may actually be a Windows driver issue, but then that would affect only Windows, not the BIOS boot process as well.

My next step would be to try another (different brand) of wireless card, or get a USB-based wireless adapter instead of using a PCI one.
It means another visit to your wallet of course, but at least the USB one can easily be swapped from one PC to another or to a laptop, without
having to remove a single screw.

Edited by pip22, 23 November 2006 - 12:32 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I do have a wireless USB also. The only thinkg i don't like about USB wireless is that i find that they arn't quite as capable as PCI cards. Seems data transfer is much faster over PCI cards. But yes i can use that as a resort. I was just curious because the card works fine but then all of a sudden it will stop working ... :whistling: