Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Issues with cursor freezing

• Please log in to reply

Calidris

Calidris

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Not sure if this goes here or in software, since I think the problem only showed up after installing Windows XP.

I upgraded one of the computers from ME (where there was never a mouse problem) to XP home. Now at seemingly random times the cursor suddenly freezes on the screen (gets trapped), when you move the mouse around it is apparent that the location of the prompt is moving (things being highlighted, the right click menu showing up in different places when the right button is clicked). Ctrl-Alt-Del does not help, no matter which things you close, basically the only cure is a reboot. This is happening with 2 different (corded, optical) mice, different brands (both generic). It only started since XP was installed. It seems to happen more when Firefox is being used, but those are not the only times.

I am brand new to this forum but I did make some attempt to look through the forums first, so I hope this is not an idiot newbie question. :whistling:
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this frustrating problem.

Advertisements

Calidris

Calidris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just a little bump for attention :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Seems like your computer is locking up. Big pain for me in the past.

How about posting the specs to see what your running on

-yield22

Calidris

Calidris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's not locking up as such, the mouse still moves (when you right click the right click menu appears at various points of the screen, I can still use the keyboard to do some things, if I can, blindly, move the mouse to the right place I can use it).
gonna figure out the specs stuff and post later

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try new mouse?

Calidris

Calidris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried a few mice, always happens.
I think it may be a video card issue (Nvidia), apparently (Google finally turned up some possible answers) others have had the problem with XP, I just downloaded new drivers and (so far) it has been good. Let's see if it lasts!