Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Install on XP

• Please log in to reply

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
did all but %systemdrive%\%windir%\temp cos it said C:\C:\ Windows is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. I 'tried' to reboot but when I did it tried to install updates and just held like that for about 5-10mins without moving...there was no computer activity...when I started the comp back up, it wouldn't install

Advertisements

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
btw...I really appreciate u tryin to help me with this :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is THIS the version of Windows Installer you downloaded? If not, try to install it. (requires validation).

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
downloaded Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)...installed automatically when it was downloaded

Edited by Celtic_symphany, 22 November 2006 - 10:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have an XP installation cd? Is it a retail version or a recovery cd supplied with the machine?

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
don't think there's a cd...think it just auto ran when I first started up the comp...only have it like 2 months

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What make and model number is your machine?

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
it's a HP Pavilion a810.uk Desktop PC

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run a System Restore (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore). Choose a date before you first noticed the problem.

Then download and install the Windows Installer from the Microsoft site. Installer

Try to install your programs again.

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok...tried the system restore...I chose a date relatively close to when I first started the pc and it went into auto reboot...it said that it was installing updates again and hung for 7mins...I had to hold power button to turn off and turn back on again...when it came back on it said restoration failed...that's like the 20th time I've had to hold down the power button to shut off in the last 2 days and that can't be good for the pc right? lol

Edited by Celtic_symphany, 22 November 2006 - 11:16 PM.

Advertisements

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
any more ideas on this problem pls??

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
This is a shot in the dark but you could try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Use "dial a fix" version 0.60.0.24 to fix installation problems. I have used it and it handles these kinds of problems.

Good luck.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I don't mean to butt in, but I wanted to make sure this had been attempted:

http://consumer.inst....asp?id=Q108340

Installshield has a GREAT consumer help knowledgebase, we used to rely on it quite a bit.

Celtic_symphany

Celtic_symphany

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thnx for the replies u guys...downloaded the windows installer cleanup utility but when I tried to run it, it stalled saying 'preparing to install'. I ran dial a fix and it didn't change. I also folled the steps from that link kurenai and I was still getting the same error message. Another thing that I noticed is that when I try to shut down the computer and windows has updates to install, it just seems to stall saying the usual 'please don't shut off your computer, installing update 1 of 1...etc' (I have left this for an hour at one stage and still nothing...) any other ideas on what the problem could be and possible solutions?

Edited by Celtic_symphany, 26 November 2006 - 05:07 PM.