Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Paste in Word 2003

• Please log in to reply

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to copy something and then paste it into an existing doc. in Word 2003. It keeps shutting down & saying it needs to retrieve the doc. again. I've tried deleting the files 'normal.doc' and then reopening Word but nothing has changed. I tried shutting off Norton and that didn't help. This has gone on for several days.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

-----------------------------------

MY SPECS:

Dell Latitude D820
Genuine Intel[R] CPU
T2300 @ 1.66 GHz
1.66 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension
Win XP, Home Edition, Version 2002
Service Pack 2
IE 6.0
Word 2003

Edited by Athena28, 22 November 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try "Detect and Repair" fromt he Help menu in Word.

Are you copying text or a graphic?

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm trying to paste text. I'll try 'Detect & Repair' as I didn't know it existed. This is a pretty new computer so I'm still trying to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Could part of the problem be I'm trying to paste new text into a doc. that was saved from my old computer (which had Word 2002)? All those Word 2002 docs. were saved on a DVD and reopened into this new computer as Word 2003 docs.

I wonder if it's a good idea to install the Microsoft Works Suite 2002 I have from my old computer. I still have the CDs and since I've heard this can be a real problem with Microsoft Word 2003 maybe it'll make it easier for me if I don't have to deal with Microsoft Word 2003 at all?

-----------

Tried 'Detect & Repair" and now can paste sporadically. I copy text & try to paste it and the screen freezes up. It turns into a white blank page with just the name of the doc. and Microsoft Word up on top on the blue line. Other times it works after several minutes but I still see the blank white page etc until it finishes.

Edited by Athena28, 25 November 2006 - 12:10 PM.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
It's happening again even tho I'm trying to paste smaller chunks of text. I keep getting an error message that Microsoft Word 2003 has to close. This is getting old really fast.

Anyone ever encounter this problem?