Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble installing RAM

• Please log in to reply

surfpunk

surfpunk

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 that im trying to install additional RAM onto. The RAM that is currently on it is (2) Samsung 512MB 1Rx8 pc2-3200u-333-10-A1 and the RAM im trying to put into it is (2)Hynix 512MB 1Rx8 PC2-3200R-333-10... When I put the new RAM in a message comes up that says "X300 SE 128MB BIOS P/N 113-A33406-100" which refers to my video card (X300 SE). And then on the back, the diagonostic lights tell me that theres "another failure has occured" problem and tells me this:

Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive.
If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.
The operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive); check system setup (see "Boot Sequence") to make sure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.
If the problem persists, contact Dell.

It seems as if the new RAM is doing something to the video card, but when I boot it with just the old RAM everything is just fine so that tells me that the video card, depsite the error codes, is fine. Ive tried every possible RAM configuration I could think of (moved all the RAM around) and every other configuration (with the new ram installed) made the computer beep at me which means "Memory not being properly identified or used." Ive made sure that the ram is properly seated, updated all drivers for the video card and updated my BIOS.

The only difference I have found between the old RAM and the new RAM is that the old RAM is "unbuffered" and the new RAM is "registered." I was told when I bought the RAM that it wont matter because its both DDR2 RAM and its the same speed, is this untrue? Is it possible that just my video card is somehow not compatible with my new RAM? At this point im leaning towards the fact that its Registered is causing the problem.

heres a link to the old ram:
http://www.samsung.c...378T6553BG0.htm

new ram:
http://www.hynix.com...HYMP564R728.jsp

Advertisements

surfpunk

surfpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I should clarify. When the X300 SE 128MB BIOS P/N 113-A33406-100 message comes on is right when I turn my computer on it goes straight to an all black screen and says this in the top left corner with a blinking cursor under it. It does absolutely nothing before or after this happens.

surfpunk

surfpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
any ideas at all?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
try pulling the video card out and see if it boots