Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Added RAM but now system crahes....

• Please log in to reply

bushp04

bushp04

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just installed two 1GB sticks of Kingston RAM on my motherboard. The PC reads it--shows I now have 3GB where before I had only one. However, when I opened Flight Simulator, I was only able to operate the sim for about two minutes before it crashed to desktop.

The first GB of RAM came with the machine. The other two were shipped as a "kit," which I think means they're Dual Channel (or DDR).

Everything else works fine. Can't figure why Flight Sim would disable itself after having more memory added!!
Usually high-graphics programs need all the memory they can get.

Anyone have an idea what the cause might be? Any constructive ideas are most welcome!!

Thank you, :whistling:
bushp04

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This could be a number ot things causing your problem.

One is that your motherboard may not be programmed in the bios to use more than 2 gigs of ram.

Another limit in windows XP is the 32 bit addressing. While 32 bits provides 4GB of address space, Windows divides the address space in half—2GB for user processes and 2GB for system space.

Other people have mentioned that the page file did not seem to work right with large amounts of memory. So when windows tries accessing the pagefile it gets cut off and you get an error. The Elder geek has a good article on the page file.

http://www.theelderg...paging_file.htm

I really don't see where you need more than 2 gigs of memory. I have seen flight sim on computers that have a gig of memory and it has run fine on the computer.

If your system has only 3 slots for memory it probably does not support dual channel so that is a moot point here. If the computer has 4 slots and only 3 are filled you lose the dual channel capabilities anyway. Pull the odd stick out and see if the computer gets any more errors.

This may be caused by the timing differences between the memorys. This can cause errors in some computers.

http://www.amd.com/u...5E13335,00.html

hope this helps.
SRX660

bushp04

bushp04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the response, SRX660!! To clarify my post a little, my Gigabyte mobo has 4 slots. DDR1 and DDR3 each have 1 stick of 512MB RAM plugged into them (this is the RAM that came with the mobo). DDR2 and DDR4 each have 1 stick of 1 GB RAM plugged in.

Also, my Gigabyte mobo user's manual says that it "supports up to 4GB RAM."

I appreciate your input. I will read the Elder Geek's article and view the other post you linked, plus I will contact Gigabyte to consult with them.

Thanks again....hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving!!

bushp04

bushp04

bushp04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Further to my earlier post this thread, SRX660, when I read the link you provided to AMD processor timing, my brain swelled up, blocking out the sun for several days!! However, after the headache subsided, I went back to the article once again, this time with renewed vigor. This is what I've learned so far: the two 512 Mb sticks are timed at something like 2-6-6-5. The two new sticks, the 1Gb ones, are timed at 3-3-3.

I tried removing the 512's and inserting the 1Gb's into the DDR-1 and DDR-3 slots on mobo. The machine runs, however the graphics on Flight Simulator 2004 went crazy....looked like the AGP was trying to "draw" both wide angle and extreme close up zooms at the same time. :blink:

Being properly spooked by this behavior, I shut it down, unplugged power, and swapped the 1Gb's for the 512's. When I rebooted, everything was back to normal, including the graphics in FS2004.

So I'm back at square one. :help:

:whistling: :) :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by bushp04, 18 December 2006 - 04:26 PM.