Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD and ext. DVD drive problems

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone. My problem is pretty much described in the title. My friend has a Dell Dimension 2350. Both his internal CD-Drive and external DVD-Drive were not found in 'My Computer' at the same time. I went into device manager and they both have yellow exclamation points next to both drives.

I have uninstalled the drivers in device manager and let windows reinstall them, and same issue. They both seem to be working fine in Safe Mode. At first I thought the IDE controller went out, but he said both drives (internal and external) went out at the same time.

They both work (they still open and close), it's just that they are not being recognized. Trying to find updated drivers from the company's website was pointless and I triple-checked all the cable connections and jumper settings...

Any ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. There used to be a link to the "cd gone" patch on this website, but it has disappeared. I do have a link to the M$ document that will accomplish the same thing: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;320553
Be sure to back up the registry before going through the procedure.

I found a page that has the cd gone patch. To to http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php
and look for:
The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed. For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems” section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article.

Edited by austin_o, 23 November 2006 - 02:44 PM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
CDGONE worked like a charm. Thanks for the help! :-)